Menu
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Emails not sending on iphone

Hi,

I have setup my iPhone to get my VM emails. I can receive my emails but emails will not send. I have confirmed that my settings are using ssl and the correct port number. When this happens if I delete the smtp server settings and then the mailbox itself and enter the details again it works for a day or so. I have tried not using WiFi at home just using mobile data on my phone to see if this is causing the problem but still does not work, I have also tried only using WiFi but still get the same message. If I log on to webmail using either mobile data or WiFi my emails works with no issue. This only started happening after the iOS update to version 13. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Emails not sending on iphone

Sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your email services Alan-moss.

Have you changed your account password recently? This can sometimes not fully update across all email platforms?

Are you able to send emails from your webmail account? Are the email to one particular recipient or numerous recipients? And to clarify that it does the same over data and a WiFi connection.

Have you followed the setup instructions on our site? If not, you can find them here and hopefully they can help with your issues.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have not changed my account password.

I can send emails via webmail on either my phone or on a computer with no issues. 

When sending to any email address even going to another email on my account will not send when using the mail app on my phone. 

I can confirm that my settings are the same as the ones on the link provided. If I delete all the smtp settings and restart the phone and then put exactly the same settings back in it works for about half a day or so. 

it happens both on WiFi and mobile data when out and about. 

Alan

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to receive emails on your phone?

Please could you try to change your password to see if this can help refresh your connection to the email server and stop the issue happening in the future.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I receive emails no problem on both WiFi and mobile data. I will change my password and see if that helps and I will let you know. 

Alan

0 Kudos
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I changed my password last night and it has not made any difference to my issue. I can still receive email on my phone via mobile data and WiFi but when I try to send email I just get the same error after about 40 mins to an hour. The error I’m receiving is “Settings are incorrect for smtp server“. 

If I then delete the smtp settings and input exactly the same settings it works for about an hour this happens on both mobile data and WiFi. 

Regards

Alan

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alan,

Are you able to try a different device to see if you get the same error? Is the error you see now the same as the one before and can you confirm that it's Apple's Mail App that you're using? Have you tried a different email App on the iPhone just to see if it's the same?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply,

Yes it is Apples mail app that I'm trying to use. I have tried using outlook and spark email on the iPhone. 

It is always the same error on all apps after about 1hr.

I don't have another device that I can test my email on.

Regards

Aan

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

@Alan-moss wrote:

It is always the same error on all apps after about 1hr.

Just to clarify that, does that mean you can successfully send emails for the first hour or that you cannot send emails at all  but it takes an hour for the error message to come through?

You previously mentioned that if you deleted and recreated the settings and mailbox it worked for a day or so.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Alan-moss
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If I delete the settings for the smtp and then delete the mailbox and recreate the mailbox, I can send emails from my phone I used to be able to send emails which lasted about a day before the error appeared but just recently gone to only send emails for an hour before the error starts showing.

The error appears after about a minute while it is trying to send (presumably after it has timed out on the smtp server).

What I have noticed but not sure if it relevant is.

If I am trying to send an email and I get the error and then save it to drafts to send on webmail it does not appear in the drafts folder on webmail ( drafts folder is set to synchronize).

If I have just recreated the account on my phone and do the same it appears in the draft folder.

Regards 

Alan

0 Kudos