Both my wife and I have ntlworld.com email accounts. Both are working via the VM website, but suddenly we are unable to send emails from our phones. This happened to both our iphones today.
I can't see any highlighted issue about this but see that some IMAP and SMTP issues have occurred recently. I have tried to update the SMTP servers away from ntlworld to virginmedia - this isn't accepted.
Both phones are still receiving incoming emails on the IMAP server.
The username or password for "SMTP: [Removed]@email@example.com" is incorrect.
Was working perfectly well for months/years until yesterday when both our phones stopped sending, hence my thinking that the server is down or has been changed. I have tried to amend the settings to the smtp virgin media server but phones won't accept the change.
[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review theForum Guidelines]
The username hasn't changed for years and is valid and correct. The phones are still receiving emails but just stopped sending, giving the above message. Something changed yesterday, in terms of the interaction between the servers and the iphone. I am still able to send and receive from Outlook on my desktop or via the VM website or using the Edge email app.
AFAIK a valid username is similar in format to firstname.lastname@example.org and anything else, like email@example.com@smtp.ntlworld.com is not; other devices are able to send because they are using a valid username.
Which format of username is your mobile device using?
Is the error message wrongly reporting the username?
Yes, the error message is indeed wrongly reporting the username. Having followed all the steps in terms of updating my email settings on an iphone published on the VM website it hasn't fixed it - I am still getting the same error message. I also called the VM helpline but they want to charge me for advice because they say the problem is with my phone, so for them to help I have to sign up with their Gadget fixing service at £5 a month plus £20 set up charge! Just because their servers aren't working or at the very least their published guidance is incorrect.
I guess it might be, but I don't see why my phone and my wife's phone both suddenly did something so that the SMTP server stopped responding at the same time. My phone is still sending mail from 2 other accounts without an issue, just not on my @ntlworld.com account.
The email app you are using is simply reporting an error message and quoting the SMTP server data string which it has found in your phone’s settings. That suggests that in the course of changing your settings around, you have failed to completely delete the old server info before keying in the new data. If you do not completely delete the old data in the server settings window before keying in new settings data, most phones will just move the old data to the right – until the left-over old data is out of sight somewhere to the right of the settings window. That is probably how you end up with a reported server name of - “SMTP: [Removed]@firstname.lastname@example.org”.
It’s a mixed-up concatenation of 2 or more sets of data.Little wonder the software can’t make head nor tail of it.
This is particularly possible when keying data into boxes with limited screen size – such as on a phone!
It should be obvious that the VM email system has been suffering a few hiccups recently. You should correct the SMTP server data setting and report back if you still have problems.