cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails being lost/blocked

g0akc
Problem sorter

My wife isn’t receiving certain messages to her VirginMedia.com email account, including some important ones from the NHS, which they insist were sent.  She receives various other emails including from me okay.

Not showing in spam/junk folder either on her phone or webmail.

How can we check/retrieve these emails please?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
6 REPLIES 6

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@g0akc wrote:

My wife isn’t receiving certain messages to her VirginMedia.com email account,

How can we check/retrieve these emails please?

The first thing to check is that those emails are not being blocked by a filter / rule in her VM Webmail account.

Sign into the account from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and follow steps 1 to 4 below

filter rules steps 2.png

If there are any rules set up I would disable them for the moment and see if any new emails that the NHS sends come through ok. If the address has been blacklisted in the webmail account that will also show up at the top of the filter rules. You can then go into the Blacklist option and delete that address from the blacklist.

Sadly, if the the emails that have not arrived are not in the spam, trash or one of the other email folders they cannot be retrieved. They are lost for good

The NHS will have more details about what happened to those emails  than Virgin Media because there will be evidence in their outgoing email logs. Unfortunately, in my experience, email sending organisations are rarely willing to help in these circumstances.

The longer term solution may well be to switch to using another email account when dealing with the NHS. Gmail would probably be a good bet,

Out of interest, is the sending email address of those missing emails "@nhs.net"? I only ask that because I remember a few years ago emails sent from that address were regularly being blocked by email providers because at the time the NHS were (inadvertently) allowing it to be used to send large quantities of spam. I am sure they have cleaned up their act since then so that is unlikely to be what is happening now,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey @g0akc,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I'm sorry to hear of the issues that your wife is having with her mailbox and certain mails coming through.

Have you been able to attempt the advice from @coenoby to see if any filters or rules have been setup, if you have tried all of that and are still having issues, please let me know and I will be able to get this looked into further for you.

Regards,

Steven_L 

It’s not fully resolved and not sure what’s going on. There’s confusion.

No rules set.

The NHS help desk haven’t been particularly helpful regarding the whereabouts of the emails - other to say they’ve sent it again and also sent a paper copy in the post.

They've also been given an alternative hotmail address to use.

One of their people has now said they won’t actually send it until the start date of the document/policy, so it’s possible they didn’t even send it before, even though they said previously they had……

We will see if it comes through 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Thanks for the update g0akc.

Please keep us posted with this, as we would like to know if you're wife does receive the email she is waiting for.

If you have any other issues in the meantime, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

g0akc
Problem sorter

The email has now come through - seems it was an issue at NHS end - I couldn’t get much sense out of them unfortunately - sorted now 

thanks….

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@g0akc wrote:

The email has now come through - seems it was an issue at NHS end

Good to hear that it has been sorted. Thanks for coming back and letting forum users know. 

The VM email service certainly has its faults but the problem is not always at their end.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks