cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email forwarding not working from another domain

thebarbarian
Tuning in

Hi.

I have a couple of "ME.UK" domain names registered with UK2 net which I use as a single point to forward emails to their respective users virginmedia email addresses. I have noticed recently that any emails to these domains are either not arriving or, literally, taking days to arrive. They're not "dodgy" addresses either - with the latest one (looking at the email headers) from Amazon taking 3 days to arrive.

It definitely appears to be related to virgin as, as a test, I added another forwarding address to one of the "ME.UK" domains to a Googlemail address and then sent 2 emails (1 of which is directed to my virginmedia address, and 1 to the googlemail address). The googlemail email arrived within seconds, I'm still waiting on the virginmedia one (some several hours later).

Please advise how to resolve this as I'm missing important emails - one of which nearly caused me to miss a flight!

16 REPLIES 16

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @thebarbarian,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your email service. To clarify your query, are you stating that there's a delay forwarding an email from a third party email address to your Virgin Media email address? If so, is this delay also present when checking the email address via our webmail platform?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi,

Yes, there can be a delay (in some instances of several days) from my own domain name via a 3rd party, or emails may not even arrive (hard to say if that's the case, but my inbox has been unusually quiet for several days now so I suspect that this is the case). Blocks of emails may also suddenly appear too - usually in the middle of the night, with no reasonable explanation as to why they'd be bunched like this (e.g. confirmation emails days apart, all arriving at once). There is no issue with webmail or any emails which are being sent directly to my virginmedia.com address (rather than via my personal "me.uk" address).

I've been in contact with UK2 and they've said they've started to see instances where BT and yourselves are starting to reject or not forward on emails. They have also added SPF and DKIM and DMARC records to my domain(s) to see if that will help, but so far, I'm yet to see any effect.

I should also add that I've used Outlook and your online Webmail service to check my emails - neither shows the emails, nor are they in the SPAM folder.

Virgin email faulty

I had issues with the email auto-forward not working on some emails, usually some spam emails.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Receiving emails from another source email-

I did a test and sent an email from my other email (mail.com) to my virgin ntlworld.com address, tried twice and virgin rejected both test emails quoting the ip address of mail.com was listed on spamhause.org

I got his message from virgin email

"Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender".

Looks like virgin are blocking some emails if they do not like the ip address of the sender, this is not delayed but  blocked.

I do not think virgin email is working properly, emails could be missed, probably wise to use alternative reliable email.

Virgin should not be censoring our email????

I tried a 3rd test to a virgin secondary email virginmedia.com, also rejected.

alf28

>I do not think virgin email is working properly, emails could be missed, probably wise to use alternative reliable email.

Just done this, and hey-presto, I'm getting emails to my alternative account!
Looks like a good excuse to starting looking at moving away from Virgin as I can't have emails going missing like this again.

ALTERNATIVE EMAILS

Pleased you found a solution by switchng emails.

I use many different emails myself.

I did a further test and found the my virign email will accept emails from gmail.-, so it seems to be selective.

My mail.com is blocked but in the past I have had spam emails from mail.com.

I am suprised that email can be blocked by virgin and classified as spam., the reason may be - (MY mail.com EMAIL health CHECK MXTOOLBOX)

More Information About Uceprotectl2

If you are on the UCEPROTECTL2/L3, you have an IP address from your ISP that falls into a poor reputation range (i.e., the entire range of IP addresses is blocked as a result of the provider hosting spammers).

Note the gmail address was clean, so got through, so virgin may be blocking some emails/domains.

alf28

Hi

I'm having exactly the same problems, with UK2 making the same changes but with no improvement. I've noticed that a few emails forwarded from UK2.net, appear one or two minutes past the hour, every hour. I've also experienced the post midnight flood of emails!  Also more emails are appearing as Spam (when previously they haven't) and the verification of my blueyonder email to join this forum also ended up in Spam. I'm convinced it's a Virgin Media problem, but can't prove it  

dougtheslug_0-1651513553876.png

Hi @doughtheslug, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.
Can you please confirm that this is happening on an email Client (such as Outlook or Apple Mail) for example, or is this happening on Webmail for you too please?
Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W

So the intermittment forwarding via UK2 is not dependant on my email client, so Outlook on a Windows 11 PC, ipad or Iphone all have the same issue..

That said if I sign into My Virgin Media, and scroll down to the Virgin Media Email icon and select it  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ it comes up as forbidden!

I've obviously copied the URL into other browsers and get the same forbidden result!

As it happens just before you made contact a flood of emails from 1 or 2 days ago came through between 17:24 and 18:37!

Clearly some changes have been made somewhere (in the last two weeks), as I've been using UK2 net for 20 years and Virgin (United Artists back in the day) for even longer, and I've never had this poblem before!!

Kind Regards

Steve aka Doug the Slug