cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email compromised

Anonymous
Not applicable

My email address has been compromised.

I have received very worrying emails asking me to transfer money to a bit coin account.

I have noticed I have an alternative email and I am at a loss as to how I remove this, it has been added by this 3rd party.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Shona

[MOD EDIT: Old duplicate account closed hence Anonymous. Please use your other account going forward]

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

There are others on here who can help with the technical email advice but, on the subject of the 'bitcoin' email, does this mention anything along the lines of a hacker taking over your computer, monitoring your activities and threatening to publish personal information about you unless you pay them in bitcoin? If so, this fits the description of a common, but unpleasant, spam/phishing message which is just a template of the same text and has been sent to many people.

As for the 'alternative email' address, where are you seeing this? Within the list of email addresses in your 'My Virgin Media' account?

Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your email at the moment. Please change all your of your passwords and do not open any links on this email. You can also run an anti-virus check on your device just be sure. 

As @goslow kindly advised already, this sound like a phishing/scam email. Can you confirm where you are seeing this alternative email address so we can investigate further? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi there,  

I noticed the alternate/alias email on my preferences.

It's a blueyonder email address and I can't understand how after a week of calling, emailing a complaint and also emailing the ceo I am no further forward.

The email is showing as attached to my webspace.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ShonaMcGhee wrote:

Hi there,  

I noticed the alternate/alias email on my preferences.

It's a blueyonder email address and I can't understand how after a week of calling, emailing a complaint and also emailing the ceo I am no further forward.

The email is showing as attached to my webspace.

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance. 

Alternate email addresses showing in the Virgin Media Mail section of the My Profile page under My Virgin Media are aliases of the primary email address shown in the My Details section.

Such aliases cannot be deleted as they share the same mailbox and password as the primary email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Does this mean the 3rd party will always have access to my mail?

Also vm saw the extortion email, the fact the address is blueyonder man's it must be attached to a vm account.

Should this account be allowed to keep functioning.

Thanks again 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ShonaMcGhee wrote:

Does this mean the 3rd party will always have access to my mail?

Also vm saw the extortion email, the fact the address is blueyonder man's it must be attached to a vm account.

Should this account be allowed to keep functioning.

Thanks again 

The alterative/alias account does not belong to/nor has it been added by the third party it is an alias of your primary email address which you will have created years ago in the Blueyonder/Telewest days.  Provided that you have changed the password and security answers for your primary email address then only you will have access to it.

Edited to add:  It is highly unlikely that the person who sent you the scam/phishing email ever had access to your email account despite any claim they may make to that effect.  It is a common tactic used to scare people. The password change route is just to provide a belt and braces response to the scare.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I know I'm a pest, so apologies in advance.

The email from the 3rd party was from me and to me.

They specifically told me to check this.

I am really not tech savy, but the fraudster had access to online orders I've placed ie a pink hand bag.

They made me think they were watching me, I then realised (or assumed)  they had seen my online orders.

Also  I am very confident the alias address is not an old email which I have set in the past.

I still really worried.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The scam email will have had the from address spoofed to make it look as if you sent it to your self.

It may provide some comfort to know that it hasn't been possible to create a blueyonder alias email address for over ten years.

I'm sure that @Carley_S  will return to this thread when they can to advise further.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ShonaMcGhee wrote:

Also  I am very confident the alias address is not an old email which I have set in the past.

Does it look similar to that highlighted below:
2022-04-03.jpeg
Yes, then please be assured by the advice Graham_A has already offered.

FYI: if I recall correctly Telewest assigned a username (i.e. as0123a45678) to the account holder and this became their primary email address to which they could assign a maximum of three aliases. At some point in history after Virgin Media took over a decision was made to make the primary alias the username, for example as0123a45678 was replaced with richard.branson. For reasons best know to Virgin Media this historical information is still shown.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks