cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account locked

DAMO70412
Tuning in

My emails (virgin.net account over 22years old) locked at some point last Monday , it looks like virgin have locked it, I try and reset the password but it says password not accepted despite answering the security questions, I have been on the phone twice but not no real idea if they are doing anything, if they want to close .net accounts then let people know and I can change everything, unfortunately my NHS account is linked to this and I am waiting on urgent medical results which is to be sent by email, anyone have any idea on how I can get my email back please 

10 REPLIES 10

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DAMO70412,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry that this has been locked. 

To confirm, do you have any active Virgin Media account?

^Martin

Thank you for reaching out, the only virgin media account I have is the locked virgin.net email account, I do not have any other virgin products except for this community account I set up earlier this afternoon. 

Hello DAMO70412.

Thanks for replying.

I would like to take a look at this for you. 

But I do need to advise it may not be possible to unlock this email or gain access again.

If a customer has an active broadband service with us we do offer support with emails.

Your .net email address is what we call orphaned and may have been deleted due to it not being associated with an active service.

Let me send you a private message to see if its is possible.

If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Hello DAMO70412.

I am so sorry.

Your email address has now been locked and deleted.

This should have been closed 90 days after you left us, but some do manage to slip the net.

Every now and again we do a sweep of email address that are not linked to active services and close them as per our terms and conditions.

I know this is not the answer you are looking for.

Gareth_L

Gareth, this appears to be a stock answer, I have never had any virgin media products so this was never attached to any mobile, broadband or TV so I can’t see how I have left, I never joined.  I have seem similar answers offered on here.

I had email until around 1030 on 13th March, I don’t now, this has clearly been blocked by someone in the virgin media technical team, I asking for the block to be lifted and for me to be able to access my emails, once I do this I can then change my important email addresses to another one I have set up this includes my NHS details of which I am waiting on what could be a life threatening medical result.

I can not believe a multi-national company of this size behaves in such an immoral and non-customer centric way.

I have 2 calls I have put into the service centre as well each time I have been dealt with through utter ineptitude and had both conflicting and incorrect information.

This is clearly distressing 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Contact the relevant NHS service to advise them of the issue with your registered email address and need to update it, for example, see  Managing your NHS account - NHS account help and support - NHS

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

@DAMO70412 wrote:

Gareth, this appears to be a stock answer, I have never had any virgin media products so this was never attached to any mobile, broadband or TV so I can’t see how I have left, I never joined.  I have seem similar answers offered on here.

I had email until around 1030 on 13th March, I don’t now, this has clearly been blocked by someone in the virgin media technical team, I asking for the block to be lifted and for me to be able to access my emails, once I do this I can then change my important email addresses to another one I have set up this includes my NHS details of which I am waiting on what could be a life threatening medical result.

I can not believe a multi-national company of this size behaves in such an immoral and non-customer centric way.

I have 2 calls I have put into the service centre as well each time I have been dealt with through utter ineptitude and had both conflicting and incorrect information.

This is clearly distressing 

Way back in 2013/2015, I think, when Virgin Media terminated all of the legacy dial-up accounts and dumped their ADSL connections, everyone should have been notified that their email address would be closed within a year or so, unless they took up a VM broadband account. Now, not everyone could do so, not living in a services area; however what actually happened was that VM failed, or didn't have the ability to, properly close down the old email account as per the deadline. So these old 'orphaned' email accounts lingered on in a sort of zombie state, the unsuspecting users just assume that they would be working for ever* and carried on using them. Except they were always in a sort of 'zombie state' and were liable to being deleted at any time after the one year deadline with no further notice.

And this is probably what has happened to your's. I'm sorry but I suspect that it has now gone and VM simply have no mechanism to reinstate it even temporarily. It's not been blocked, an automated process has simply caught up with this email address is not associated with a live, paying, broadband account and has locked it in preparation to the whole lot being deleted.

* Ever so slightly in VM's defence here, be honest, how much have you paid to VM in the intervening time? Would that figure be nothing? In which case, you can't really claim to be a 'customer' can you, and why do you expect VM to carry on providing a service to you when they get nothing back?

Thank you Gareth_L, At last, someone who knows what is going on.

I too have lost my virgin.net email address. I was with Virgin, a bit over twenty years ago, but hung on to my virgin.net address; as it was the one I used for "everything". Fortunately, I do now have other email addresses, but this was my main one. I write the following, in the hope that others may be helped, as I have been. A couple of weeks ago I lost the ability to sign in to my virgin.net address on my laptop. My tablets could still access it. I was able to see my folders, which reminded me of many of my contacts. It was good to contact people like my GP and the DVLA, so I will still be contacted about Covid jabs and reminded of my MoT - all at my new (gmail) address. At the time I was also able to set up a redirection to my gmail address. I read on here that "sometimes" changing passwords can regain access - so I tried that. It was a good call and some people may be lucky - I wasn't. From that point on I lost all ability to see my emails, on any device. I tried to log in with "forgotten password" and "forgotten email address", etc. Unfortunately, although I was taken to various pages where I could enter memorable dates, etc. nothing worked. Even when asked to enter a new password, the new password would not be accepted (and I tried a LOT).

I did try contacting Virgin, via WhatsApp, but they could not help and suggested I phone. I did and the customer service responder tried hard. He talked me through the same things I had tried and said that they always tried to help even those no longer paying for Broadband. But he did say that if I bought Broadband they would be able to restore my address (although I am not confident that this would actually happen). He did say that my email would terminate in 72 hours. This has not happened. This is unfortunate, as anyone emailing me will not get their email bounced back. From your post, I see that it is actually 90 days, so hopefully, that will happen and my email address will no longer exist. I hope this is of help to anyone in a similar predicament - and for anyone with a .net address (without Virgin Broadband) it's time to tell everyone of your new address.

. . . along with the other three hundred or so organisations!!!!