Menu
Fibre optic
Message 41 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Single Multi-Spam filter

Hi DaveBC,

You could try the filter I have set up for contents of the message body. Just need to find a common factor inside the body of the spam if you can, and add it in.

I'd check your spam folder to ensure nothing else gets thrown in there that shouldn't after you've enabled it. Here's mine -

SmartSelect_20200717-081108_Brave.jpg

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 42 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@DaveBC wrote:

I'm also being spammed with .eu email. Each message always contains an image as the body, with a broken english sentence on how to unsubscribe from a newsletter at the bottom.

I can't find any guidance on the syntax of the regex function of the spam filter and whether or not it reads emails like a human or looks at the raw source. I'm thinking along the lines of having a regex filter that matches body content that contains a http url with .eu. The messages don't use https links.

Creating a regex filter for url's domains is useless because the domain is different every time.

http:\/\/[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%._\+~#=]{1,256}\.eu\/[a-zA-Z0-9]+

Really like to understand why having a filter rule condition on the From header:

1. to allow specific .eu addresses
  2. to treat all other .eu addresses as spam

is not appropriate.

BTW none of markup in the the body of a message is checked by a filter rule's Body condition.

Fibre optic
Message 43 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that 用心棒 👍Noted.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Not sure I followed any of that guys. 😕 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 45 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I don't  understand much of that either. I have tried banning .eu but it does not work because it is attached to another word.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 46 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Can you review the email's text source and post the From header value here; in webmail the text source can be viewed by selecting > View source

By the way, keep in mind using filter rules to handle misidentified spam should be a temporary measure involving a handful of rules.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 47 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys

Not sure if anyone else has been affected by this, but I've been locked out of webmail for 4 days now, and get the error message Forbidden (or 403 Forbidden on the tab) and according to VM, it's because of the filters like the ones detailed on this thread. VM have now removed the filters and all the Blacklisted email address I'd added. In fact, this is not the first time it's happened to me. Has anyone else been affected? 

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Sorry ...email messages

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 49 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@thsc04646 wrote:

Not sure if anyone else has been affected by this, but I've been locked out of webmail for 4 days now, and get the error message Forbidden (or 403 Forbidden on the tab) and according to VM, it's because of the filters like the ones detailed on this thread. VM have now removed the filters and all the Blacklisted email address I'd added. In fact, this is not the first time it's happened to me. Has anyone else been affected? 

Who at Virgin Media suggested this as a cause?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I received an email from VM, and I've tried to copy and paste the contents of it, as it explains the cause of the email locking, but VM have removed the post, so I can't show it on here. I'm happy to forward it to anyone if it'll help. Here's a bit which shouldn't be blocked. 

Dear customer,

Recently we noticed suspicious activity on your Virgin Media email account, so as a security precaution we temporarily locked your mailbox.

Since then, you’ve successfully reset your password in order to unlock your account. 

What happened?

An automatic forwarding rule was set up on this email account. This means that emails sent to your address have been forwarded on to a third-party address, giving them access to your emails.

We’ve included an extract of the suspicious forwarding rule at the bottom of this email. It may look confusing, but all you need to do is take note of the date it was enabled; it’s important you review any emails received after this 

What should I do now? 

1. Check your antivirus software

2. Update your online passwords

3. Reset any intentional forwarding rules

As a precaution, we’ve removed all forwarding rules from your account. So if there are any you do need set up, you’ll need to reset them.

I'll try adding other bits of the email in the next post...

0 Kudos