Menu
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 21 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Single Multi-Spam filter

Thanks Graham_A & Canarytops1👌👍,

Perhaps I should add a note for those that don't / haven't used Virgin webmail, to the top of the directions? Beginning to wish I could have it pinned if it comes in handy.

Does that answer your query, wingates? You don't have to use webmail again once it's set up unless you wish to edit / add to the list later.

Start here, wingates - https://my.virginmedia.com/home/index

Then, as Canarytops1 suggests, click Menu (top right) / Settings / Email (left menu) / Filter Rules / Add New Rule.

By the way, I edited the list recently and removed "info@email", as it excluded emails being sent from The AA that use this in their address. I'll monitor and edit the list as necessary.

Currently, the newest version is here -

@zulu|@mightynetworks.com|@welshrugby.wales|@info.dealmates|@em.cowshed.com|@email.startribune.com|@moma.org|from@amazonaws.com|@openface.ca|@therdancer|from@telegram.org|onlineapplylearn|chatbot4u|cartimex|extremegb|@NextEmail.co.uk|@e1.llbean.com|@leveltimeshort|@individualdedicated|headlines@trib|latimes|CustomerService@Munchies|admin@turnoutpac|TUT.com|goodhousekeeping@|TermLifeAlert@|CryptoLibra|learning@ionbeamservices.co.uk|TestersKeepers|@trib|FlexibleDigitalSolutions|@uaonlineshop.com|microsoftstore@micserv|itcoin|from@privateserverspoint|@info.deal-mates

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that, just what I wanted.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 23 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thank you all for the help here.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Boothy99 - If you add the spam and phishing email addresses to the VM email Blacklist list, spam and phishing emails don't get through at all. However, VM has limited this fantastic tool by setting a maximum of 250 blacklisted email addresses. This was set up when emails first started, so getting this limit increased to say 500, or better still 1000, would really help, given the explosion of spam and phishing emails we all get these days, but VM don't think the spam and phishing emails are a serious enough issue to up the limit. Can you have a word on our behalf please?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 25 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@thsc04646 wrote:
Hi Boothy99 - If you add the spam and phishing email addresses to the VM email Blacklist list, spam and phishing emails don't get through at all. However, VM has limited this fantastic tool by setting a maximum of 250 blacklisted email addresses. This was set up when emails first started, so getting this limit increased to say 500, or better still 1000, would really help, given the explosion of spam and phishing emails we all get these days, but VM don't think the spam and phishing emails are a serious enough issue to up the limit. Can you have a word on our behalf please?

Virgin Media's poor handling of spam has meant those who continue to use the service find themselves having to intervene more often to process misidentified spam. To automate this intervention users may decide to use filter rules or the blacklist function; with the latter just being a constrained frontend for the former. The problem with using the blacklist function is best illustrated by asking the question “What is the least a spammer would have to do to defeat it” and the answer is “just change the email address's username by one character“, for example change spammer@example.com  to spammers@example.com.

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 26 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi thsc04646

Thanks for your comments. However, I'm no more of an influence to the Virgin team than the next man on the street 😉 .... I'm just another customer who, like so many, have had to contend n' defend against spammer scum.

As 用心棒 suggests - the Blacklist is just a constrained waste of time and effort. By the time you've added a complete scum-spam email address to it ....it's already out of date and a useless waste of space...and time!.

Forget Blacklisting ... the capacity will never be enough. Just try the Multi-spam filter and add your own "constant" parts of their ever changing addresses. My inbox is now almost always free of spam with little or no further input from me (after initial 5 minute setup) other than adding to it once in a while every week or two.

There's even less of it coming in, in the first place, as I send all of the scummers crud straight to SpamCop which more often than not, gets them bannished for a while & gives them a well deserved headache, 😂🤣  trying to find another provider that doesn't give two hoots who abuses their systems.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your input guys. Many tecky guys on this forum are actually VM staff, and in another issue I had (spam and phishing phone calls), a member of VM staff was able to get me removed (+ go ex-directory) from the BT phonebook. The India call centre had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, but a VM staff member on here saved the day. Back to the issue in hand, I'm not very tecky minded, and I thought the blacklist option was an easy fix to the spam email issue, until the inevitable 'full up' message appeared. VMs customer services bizarre response was to delete some spam email addresses already in there just to add more. Despite it being explained, they still couldn't see why this might still be a problem. They even said they were surprised to be asked to increase the limit of 250 as no-one else has ever complained about spam or phishing emails before, so it would need many more people to complain about it before it was looked at.

However, as suggested here, I've set up a similar multi-spam filter to that described above (with some of my own serial offenders) and look forward to seeing fewer spams from now on. Many thanks Boothy99 for highlighting this option and making it easy for us old-timers (I'm 57...) to follow. 

Just as a matter of interest, how do you send the scummers crud straight to SpamCop? That sounds like a jolly wheeze but might involve another filter, and I've no idea how to set that up. Can you do a wee step-by-step guide for that as well?  

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 57
Flag for a moderator

@thsc04646 wrote:

Just as a matter of interest, how do you send the scummers crud straight to SpamCop? That sounds like a jolly wheeze but might involve another filter, and I've no idea how to set that up. Can you do a wee step-by-step guide for that as well?  

You have to register at spamcop.net  It is a bit fiddly to set up, but then it is easy to use.  You just copy the header (source data of the email) and paste on their site.  Spamcop reports it to the sites and servers that are being abused and the spammer has to find another un-secure place to work from.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks MissPasko

I'll do the needful at Spamcop - anything to put a spanner in their works. I appreciate your note about potential scammers pretending to be VM staff. If you could see my email chain with the guy involved you'd see how careful (and suspicious) I was. He did have the VM logo, and so did the vm Moderator when I reported him for asking questions I wasn't happy with. It was all OK though.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 57
Flag for a moderator

After a period of relative success I'm being inundated (well 3 or 4 a day !) purporting to be from Aldi. There doesn't appear to be any "constant" re the sender name/domain to add to a filter.

Has anyone had any success in blocking these ?

0 Kudos