Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Email 2nd User can log in but Prime User can't

Hi All

My first time using this facility so I hope I get things right.

Basically the Prime User cannot get access to email as it just tells him that either his ID or his Password are incorrect (both are actually correct). This has just happened this afternoon - but no changes have been made by the User to anything. Meanwhile the 2nd User's email access is working fine... Have tried the usual turning off/ on the router and rebooting the PC to no avail. Has anyone any ideas how to get this fixed ?  Many thanks in anticipation of your kind help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email 2nd User can log in but Prime User can't

@Harrydog52 wrote:

Prime User cannot get access to email as it just tells him that either his ID or his Password are incorrect (both are actually correct).

You do not specify whether the 'Prime User' is trying to sign in to his Virgin Media email account directly or whether he is using what is known as an email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird to manage his emails.

In the latter case it could be a problem with the settings in the software rather than a problem with the VM account itself. However, from what you do say I am sensing that he is trying to sign in to his email account directly from this screen https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

On that log in screen in the above link you will see 'Forgotten your password?'. I would suggest clicking on that and going through that route to change the password. When asked for the 'Username' you should type in the full email address. He will then have to type in the answer to the security question and if the answer is not accepted try again but type the answer in UPPER CASE.

If changing the password does allow him to regain access you will have to assume that someone else (a hacker) changed it from the original password. Therefore you/he should follow all the steps set out here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked in order to regain control of the account and prevent the hacker from regaining access to the account.

If it does not work you may well have to wait until your post is picked up by one of the forum team (VM employees) who should be able to help - provided that the 'Prime User' is still a VM broadband customer. (Note that this is likely to require the 'Prime User' to create a forum account.)

Hope this helps. 😉

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Firstly many thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.  For the record he has been trying to sign-in directly into his Virgin account.

Co-incidentally after various attempts / waits etc I finally managed to get through to Virgin on the phone. It would appear that this is a known problem (so assume others have same issue), which they have been trying to find a fix for since approximately the beginning of the month. At the moment they have no fix for it, nor are they able to say when they expect to have one.  Very frustrating - but there are far worse things happening in the world right now, so will try and be patient (for a while...).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Harrydog52 wrote:

I finally managed to get through to Virgin on the phone. It would appear that this is a known problem (so assume others have same issue), which they have been trying to find a fix for since approximately the beginning of the month. At the moment they have no fix for it, nor are they able to say when they expect to have one. 

Thanks for coming back.

Ok, how can I put this? 🤔

If I were you I would not necessarily take the answer that you have been given as being the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. That is based on  previous experience many other posters on this forum have had with VM 150 agents.

If you have already tried to reset the password and failed then you have no choice but to wait for a forum team member to contact you via the forum. However, if you have not yet tried, I would still suggest having a go at doing the things I suggested in my last post.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Well thank you for your persistence - because guess what?  Yep, changed the password and have now have  got access to email.

Thanks again!

Super solver
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Harrydog52 wrote:

Yep, changed the password and have now have  got access to email

Thank you for coming back and confirming that and also for marking my post as a Helpful Answer. That will enable other people with the same issue to see a way out of their difficulties.

The lesson is that if you get another problem it is always worth asking here first. There are several very good and experienced people on here, all VM customers like myself who are just waiting to help anyone.

Give as much information about the problem and preferably quote any error messages in full. I took a bit of a gamble in your case because there was not a whole lot to work with but thankfully it paid off and I am very pleased to have been of help to you and the 'Prime User'.😊

Stay safe and well.

Coenoby