cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete NTLWORLD Email Account - spammed to death

sptcox
On our wavelength

My NTLWORLD email address is my primary email account because it was setup when I originally setup my account with NTLWORLD

I have been told before that it can't be deleted because it's my primary account - it's never been explained why this is the case, and as a Techie with 30 years experience I can't see any reason this would be the case.

I have a Virginmedia.com email address also associated with the account, so I can't see why this can't be transferred to be the primary email address and delete the ntl one.

So I was told on a couple of occasions by Virgin techs that if I don't login or in any way access the account for either 3 or 6 months, the email account would be automatically deleted - I have today logged on to the account after almost a year of not touching it. It's still active with 999+ emails in the inbox - most of which are spam. Only 20 spam messages, because, as we already know, the Virgin Spam Filters are completely useless.

Please Virginmedia - help me to get rid of this email account which is unusable due to your system's complete failure over many years to identify spam email.

3 REPLIES 3

jem101
Superstar

The primary email address cannot be deleted as it is also the username for your VM account. Similarly the way VM's backend system is structured also means that is can't be changed, hence there is no way for it to be replaced by the virginmedia.com address.

But why bother? You said yourself you haven't looked at it for ages so why not just ignore and forget about it - if it fills up with spam, then who cares?

Hi sptcox

Thanks for your post

We can only advise the same as what @jem101 has told you 

The primary email address will remain and its not possible to remove or change 

Sorry if you are unhappy with this 

Gareth_L

sptcox
On our wavelength

It's not really the point though is it?

Such an inflexible system is typical of VM.

Problem now solved as I am now rid of VM. Partly because of this issue, but mainly because of a ridiculous inflexibility over pricing when my 18 month deal came to an end. 

33% increase in cost when you also take into account the annual inflation based rise. Wouldn't offer anything lower even by going through retentions. Until I put my switch to another provider in place - I then received a call saying they didn't want to lose a customer who has been with them for 25 years plus, and offered me a price that was 35% lower than my original deal.

Just shows what they can do when pushed on it - but I refused it. Time to switch anyway after so many years. And the bonus that the ntlworld email problem wiil also disappear!