cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

@Sololobo wrote:

Have a look at posts 80, 81 and 82 in this thread where boothy99 has suggested and tested a filter based on Subject which may help. Add your own filtering words to suit.

Done that - the same solution was posted recently with more relevant watch words (to this situation). Doesn't stop the SPAM for me. Lots of people like you trying really hard to help and posting/pointing at potential solutions. Many highlighting things which SHOULD work. I have tried pretty much all of them and none do.

One of the most frustrating things for me is that a simple filter such as - 'Do X if McAfee is found in the header/body' - doesn't work. Even if VM cannot stop the SPAM hitting the servers, the ability for me to automatically redirect some out of my inbox would help.

Well Google unilaterally withdrew their service for ISPs back in 2015 (I think), despite what many assume, it was never a case that VM didn't want to pay them and went cheap.

But have you ever wondered why Google and Microsoft are so much better at spam filtering? Well firstly they have far more technical resources to throw at the situation, secondly they both offer a fully paid-for email service (GSuite and Microsoft 365) and the 'free' versions piggy-back off of the same infrastructure. But definitely in Google's case, for the free gmail service, they effectively read every email which passes through them looking for useful information for advertising purposes - they have a massive, vested interest in being very, very good at working out what emails are.

But it should be trivial to remove spam, after all it's obvious isn't it?

Well not so obvious to a machine which can only go strictly by sets of rules it has been given. I often like it to a situation where your postman, opens each of your letters before you get them, he reads each one, making a careful note of any useful information which can be sold on to marketing companies, and if he or she decides that it's not something you want to receive, simply dumps it in the recycling bin or shredder depending on the settings. Oh and the postman can't use any human intuition, but must religiously follow a set of rules handed down from the Post Office which determines if you receive the letter or not.

@mdudzin wrote:

Actually that is a good idea, just FW the email and that do the trick?

If you're going to forward all your VM received emails to a different email account, you'd be as well ditching the VM account altogether and migrate all your communication to that account, preferably a non ISP provided one.

After all, why lock yourself into an email account which is lost if you move provider, and one which doesn't meet your needs or expectations?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

jawilliamson
Dialled in

Up until around a week ago I had no issues with this type of spam/phishing message - just the odd one every now and again.  At exactly the same time both myself and my wife have started to get all of the same fake Mcafee e mails along with exactly the same "you have £34,876 in your account" - that last one scared me, I thought where the hell has the rest gone lol.  A bit of a coincidence that the same mails both started coming through to our two personal e mail addresses (which are quite dissimilar) at the exactly the same time.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/45d6f28a52dec6b290d1fe97eb56cb3749a2688d

McAfee, you have £xxxxx in your account, adult dating etc. just a small selection of the daily spam I get. Fed up of blocking them now as they come from different accounts every single time.

https://ibb.co/cQ9Wz0N

It's annoying when you try to forward it to <phishing@virginmedia.com> you get the message "Warning spam content found".

Not necessarily; I've just forwarded the last 3 of these McAfee spams emails from different addresses and they've all gone through OK with a reply, "this is an automatic reply to confirm that your email has been received by Virgin Media Internet Security" etc etc

I'm sure if we all did that then maybe, just maybe, they'd take notice and do something about this ridiculous and frustrating situation for us (THEIR CUSTOMERS WHO PAY THEIR WAGES!)

Until something changes it is certainly my intention to just keep forwarding these to them at phishing@virginmedia.com

Brachy8
On our wavelength

Thank you for your help. That looks a possible candidate.

Thank you again.

"..Until something changes it is certainly my intention to just keep forwarding these to them at phishing@virginmedia.com. .."

Just tried this with 'McAfee' spam and got the "Spam detected" unable to send message !!!

Don't send them more than 1 or 2 in a row I did last night I am now locked out of my account

They don't care about their customers getting them but don't like it themselves