Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Configure email forwarding after 90 days ?

Help ...

My elderly mum was on Virgin (via ntlworld) for many many years, and only left when she moved house and was obliged to take-up another ISP (for the record, TalkTalk, and that is another very sorry tale) ..

Unfortunately no-one from either Virgin (or TalkTalk) informed mum that she needed to configure "Email forwarding" when she left Virgin and now more than 90 days have passed so we can no longer access the Virgin media portal to do this ourselves.

Surprisingly, I can still access her ntlworld [Virgin] Email account via an imap client (Outlook, Em etc) and read/send emails from there; but what I want to do is set up email forwarding (e.g. .forward address) so that incoming emails will be automatically forwarded to her new email address. Virgin front line support tells me this is not technically possible however, given that her account is clearly still live to some degree (as I can still read her emails and send from there) this must be possible for a superuser [su] (or equiv) to do.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

- (prof) j. mark bishop

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Configure email forwarding after 90 days ?

SU's have no influence over the "backend" stuff, and not much over the frontend.

What we CAN do is escalate for you.

@ModTeam  can someone get a look? The email box is obviously still active, can forwarding be set up as a temporary measure till it gets pruned?

@ProfJMarkBishop 

Whatever the outcome, you need to start a managed migration to another address, preferably NOT one tied to an ISP.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The email account should have been closed 90 days after leaving.  Virgin Media are notorious for not sticking to their own policy in this respect.

However,  webmail access is always first to go.  Without that access it isn't possible to set up forwarding.

Your best bet is to try and inform your mum's contacts of her new address as the ntlworld address is on borrowed time.

All the forum staff would be able to do is ensure the account is fully closed.  They would need to contact your Mum to clear security questions before doing this.

Edited: posted before seeing Kippies reply, but the message is essentially the same.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for taking time to reply; I meant an OS [unix?] su at VIrgin not the group su 🙂

Hoping the MOD team can help ...

best,

- mark

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

LOL Linux mostly these days...as in SUDO to escalate privileges...though I cut my teeth on UNIX

Sorry we get lost in context sometimes-

sandwich.png

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For forwarding to work, you have to have an active Virgin Media email address to send the mail to in the first place.  Once the mail closure is complete, this is no longer the case, so for once 1st line support were actually correct in what they were saying (a rarity :)).

If you still have POP3/IMAP access then you can configure the mail program to forward arriving mail to her new email address when it picks up new mail from the server, but once the account is closed completely the mailbox is deleted from their system.  The email team are unlikely to set up automatic forwarding for an account that's in the process of deletion.

Once webmail access has gone, you need to think about backing up mail from the server before POP3/IMAP access is removed completely anyway.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Now that 90 days have passed, “drop the hammer”, and make sure Virgin Media delete the unsupported email account(s) because the risks from continued use far outweigh any perceived benefits (IMHO). If knowing this you still wish to continue using the unsupported email account(s) then consider:

• accessing it from your new email service if it supports third party email account via POP3
  • create a new temporary email address with a service that supports third party email account via POP3 and forwarding to send message on to the new email address

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi ProfJMarkBishop,

As it has exceeded 90 days since her services ended we'd be unable to make arrangements for email forwarding at this point.

We would only be able to arrange the closure of the account to ensure it doesn't get compromised, however we would need to speak to your mum, the account holder to process this.

She can either reach out to us via the forums or speak to our broadband faults team who should be able to arrange this for her as well.

Thanks,

Tom_S

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Email account is noit deleted as i can still read and send emails from it when i connect via an email client...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

... could do this, thanks; but what we simply want to do is add a .forward to the old unsupported account; this cannot be beyond the wit of virgin, surely .....

0 Kudos