Menu
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Closure of former-customer email accounts

What is happening?

If you have received an email recently from Virgin Media stating your old account has been compromised and will be closed down soon (30 days and again after 15 days) then this is a genuine email from us.

We do not ask you to click on any links to divulge any information; it is purely for your information only. If you do receive an email like this but it asks you to send any information then it is not from us.

Why?

We are running a clean-up on some old email accounts (orphaned accounts) that are still active and we have seen suspicious activity coming from them. We feel the best thing to do, is to fully close these down.

We will be giving you a set time to react to the email that has been sent to you, so you can archive any emails or contacts using an email client.

When?

The process will be 30 days from the first email you receive; you will also receive a reminder email after 15 days.

If you have not received an email from us specifically calling out account closure in 30/15 days then the above does not apply to you.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Just joined
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closure of former-customer email accounts

Hi, I'm looking for some help on this one, I have an email address which is orphaned which we have been using until we lost the password in the last few weeks due to a machine failure.

I need help to get access to the account again so we can grab the emails and contacts - anything you can do to help me with this?

Alexander.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

you can not get access to the account. All that VM can do is make sure its closed down. VM will not help non customers regain access.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

You might try seeing if the account is still active via one of the free sites.  I've had this as an ongoing query since July.  They have finally admitted that they have  NOT sold these addresses on to TalkTalk......after categorically stating that they had for months.  You might want to look at the post made by VirginMedia  in July on this forum stating that all orphan account holders would be notified if their account was to be closed...I wasn't and I guess that you weren't either!    If enough of us make a fuss they may do something.  I have been advised by TalkTalk that it;s quite a simple thing to restore emails...it seems that  they do it all the time.  I just need my account opened for a while so that I can gain access to legal documents stored in  the sub-folders.  Luckily I had my Virgin email linked to another account...so I'm still receiving emails sent to that address....and weirdly enough I can still  send emails from that address via my linking system.    I wish you luck.  You just have to persevere........ 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Interesting,  I have just posted about my disgust and disbelief from staff telling they cannot delete compromised email accounts.  Quite honestly if I had my way I’d get all my email accounts deleted so I can move to a more secure provider which I already have access to!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi , I have an old blueyonder email that was hacked about 3 moths ago, now i cannot gain access to this email .Has all blueyonder accounts been closed down. Cannot access my VM account because 4 years ago i moved home, my new address was booked in for installation but has still not been completed because of damage in the pipes in the road to my house . ( no funding for repairs ? )

cheers Daz

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hello trandaz

Sorry to hear that, are you still a customer with us?

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi thank you ,i'm still waiting on services been transferred , i'm on the list for repairs VM says .. still got my old account number , my new account is on hold.
cheers
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I see, how long have you been waiting for this, also what makes you think you have been hacked, have emails been sent that you have not authored?

Thanks Joe_F

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

just gone 4 years , hacker changed my ebay password , amazon password , tried paypal ( lots of spending ). with a password recovery to email then locked me out . he some how got into my email .then wanted bitcoin or would release my information. not good .
0 Kudos