Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Cant't reply to emails 'spam content' when a legitimate link is in text

Hi,

For a few days had this error message (removed personal details):

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxx@xxx] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=jovbgFzNfku06jovbg3LSH;sid=jovbgFzNfku06;mta=smtp1.tb;d=20190116;t=182435[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.149;

In all of the emails I've tried to send, the link has been to my own website, www.mandycanudigit.com. As this is a business site, it makes me look pretty stupid if I can't provide a link to my website!

This follows a major problem with my email last month which ended up with a security alert. Please can someone sort this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant't reply to emails 'spam content' when a legitimate link is in text

We'll have to wait until the Forum Team reach this post for them to see why the mail was rejected as spam. I'll bet a penny to £ that some of the recipients of your e-mails are marking them as spam and the VM filters are responding accordingly to prevent outgoing spam, or when the site is scanned by the VM filters the site looks spammy , though it is not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cant't reply to emails 'spam content' when a legitimate link is in text

Hi there,

When looking back at my VM account, I had the same problem a few years back! I think you may be right... I've decided to remove the 'Subscribe' button altogether to end the problem. I post regularly, as it's a gardening news site, and the Jetpack settings don't have an 'opt out' button! There weren't many subscribers, as my traffic comes from social media and organic searches.

Just a shame that this is my legitimate livelihood as a gardening journalist and a thoughtless 'spam' click can ruin it. Still, we all get inundated by emails, don't we?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Message contains spam content

Hi,

I posted this last night but unfortunately clicked 'helpful answer' when the query hadn't been answered!

For a few days had this error message (removed personal details):

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [xxx@xxx] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=jovbgFzNfku06jovbg3LSH;sid=jovbgFzNfku06;mta=smtp1.tb;d=20190116;t=182435[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.149;

In all of the emails I've tried to send, the link has been to my own website, www.mandycanudigit.com. As this is a business site, it makes me look pretty stupid if I can't provide a link to my website!

I had this problem in 2016 probably through someone marking a legitimate subscriber email to my site as spam. Last night I removed the ability to subscribe via email to my website www.mandycanudigit.com.

I really need this to be sorted quickly, as I need to contact PRs (it's a gardening news website) about posts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Message contains spam content

I have merged this with your existing thread. You can remove the helpful answer tick yourself by going into "Post Options" in the relevant post. I did wonder why you did this? Actually the Forum Team would still have picked up on the issue as they read every single thread irrespective of whether it has been marked as "solved" or not.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard,

Thanks and I only marked it as a helpful answer to say thanks to you - I rarely use the forum and didn't realise you weren't supposed to press it until the question was solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi MandyCanUDigIt,

I've checked and Cloudmark isn't flagging your website as Spam.

I shall send you a PM in a moment (purple envelope top right) requesting a copy of the email content and the full error message.

I'll then investigate to find out what's invoking the Spam error.

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I am receiving the same error message but against the website www.villagespiritcollective.com.

If you have resolved the original error, please can you do the same for me.

Thanks

BigMal70

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi BigMal70,

Can you give us more details on the issue so we can help?

For example, are you not receiving expected emails from the website you mentioned?

Are you able to email? What have you tried and checked?

Thanks,

Lisa_CC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I have marked the senders e-mail address and domain to my safe senders list and still get this message:

Message could not be sent to the following recipients: [e-mail address] (554 - 554 5.2.0 SMTP602 Message contains Spam Content ;id=lx96hOmeLCq1Blx97hFPOY;sid=lx96hOmeLCq1B;mta=smtp2.tb;d=20190712;t=170737[CET];ipsrc=172.25.160.148;
)

I have sent e-mails to the same e-mail address (which is a different domain) and also am able to reply to their e-mails if their original e-mail does not include the business web link so it seems pretty certain that it is just this url which is causing the e-mails to be marked as spam.

BigMal70

0 Kudos