cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot login to virgin.net email account

Cng
Joining in

I have suddenly not been able to access my virgin.net email. I was asked to sign in to verify my identity but my password was refused (although it had not been changed). On attempting to reset the password my security question was also declined (and that also has not been changed). I am worried that my account has been hacked in order to change these details. Could you please help urgently? 

2 REPLIES 2

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cng wrote:

Could you please help urgently? 

Do you have a live Virgin Media broadband account? All Virgin email accounts, (whether they are Virgin.net, Blueyonder, Ntlworld or VirginMedia) need to be linked to a live VM broadband account. VM has an ongoing policy of deleting these email accounts as they come to light.

In the case of Virgin.net addresses many were never linked to a VirginMedia account:

• Those that were originally linked to the old dial up system (closed in 2013) should have been deleted automatically after 180 days after the closure because you needed to dial in at least once every 180 days to keep your email account active.
  • Some were originally linked to the old ADSL (non fibre) internet service which Virgin sold off to TalkTalk in 2014. Virgin retained control  of the email addresses but those should have been deleted a year after the sale of the internet service to TalkTalk unless the customer set up a new VM fibre Broadband account.

Since the demise of those 2 services, the only way to keep a virgin.net address has been in conjunction with a VM broadband account.

Sadly, VM have confused the situation by failing to delete many of these old email accounts and this has resulted in people continuing to use virgin.net email accounts for decades after the addresses should have been deleted.

Hopefully you have a VM broadband account or the future of your virgin.net account is looking very bleak.

If you do not have a broadband account, the best that you can hope for is that VM agrees to re-enable the account to allow you to download any information that you need from  it. However, they cannot guarantee that the account will remain open indefinitely.

One of the VM Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will catch up with the your post in a day or so and will contact via this thread.

Sorry if I am the bearer of bad news. 🙁

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Cng,

Welcome, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your Email.

Do you have an active broadband account with us? I was not able to locate one for you using your forums details.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide