Menu
techifan
Superfast
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Cannot Send emails from my primary account email address.

All has been working OK for some time but for the last few days I have been able to receive but cannot send emails from my primary account email address.

This is when using Outlook and webmail. All my other email addresses work as normal.

I get the following error message.

Error Message.jpg

I can log into my virgin media account as normal using my primary email address and password.

Highlighted
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot Send emails from my primary account email address.

@techifan wrote:

for the last few days I have been able to receive but cannot send emails from my primary account email address.

This is when using Outlook and webmail. All my other email addresses work as normal.

Thanks for supplying the Outlook error message. Just to clarify, when you say "This is when using Outlook and webmail"  are you saying that you also have a problem sending messages from VM Webmail.?

From the error message in Outlook, the problem could be with your account settings in Outlook, here are the recommended settings https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438 so it would be a good idea to check those.

However, it could also be caused by a problem with your VM email account itself. if that is the case it will need the Forum Team (VM employees) to intervene and arrange for that to be fixed.

It would be great if you could confirm:

1) That you are still a VM Broadband customer Smiley Wink

2) Whether you are having problems sending from VM Webmail aswell as Outlook

3) That your email account settings in Outlook match those set out in the above link

The Forum Team will post here and ask you for your details (Don't post them here). Hopefully they should be able to intervene.

Just for information, (for you and the new Forum Team members) here is an earlier post on the same theme. Take a look at Message 10 from Jen_A on this thread - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Cannot-send-emails-for-last-6-months/m-p/3735667

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

That's actually a very helpful screenshot in the first post so thank you @techifan Smiley Happy

Looking at the error message VM402 - it actually affects the Mail From: (envelope sender) identity rather than the From: (author) identity.

And yes I'm a pedant but when I'm looking at emails it helps to be precise.

SMTP sends have 3 important identities when it comes to identifying the sender.

1. AuthID - the email address used as a username when authenticating the send.
  2. Mail From: ID - the email address used to identify the sender of the mail to the mail server.  This is actually sent before the message is sent and this is the address bounces are sent to.
  3. From: ID - the email address identifying the author of the email.  This is actually part of the email message, itself.

BTW the difference between 2 and 3 is the reason that you can get a bounce message with a From: address belonging to someone else ending up in your Inbox.  It's not a broken server, it's down to how email actually works.

In most emails 1 2 and 3 will always be the same.

However it is possible to authenticate with one email address and then send using a different address. e.g.

Auth ID joebloggs@virginmedia.com
Mail From: ID fredsmith@blueyonder.co.uk

However if the Mail From: ID is different, then the server MUST be able to validate it.

With that in mind, it's worth in the first instance checking you outgoing settings on the primary account.  As it would appear that the email address used to authenticate it is currently different.  What happens if you change it to that it matches? (Note you'll need to make sure the password is updated too).

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
techifan
Superfast
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Just to clarify a few things as requested.

I have been an ntl/vm broadband customer for many, many years.

I cannot send emails from my primary account when using outlook, my mobile phone and also webmail. This has just happened recently and I have not made any changes my end.

Outlook Message 1

Outlook Message 1.jpg

Outlook Error Message 2

Outlook Error Message 2.jpg

Webmail Error Message

Webmail Error Message.jpg

Do you think it looks like a problem with my VM email account and therefore recommend contacting VM support?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

It will need technical support, but I don't recommend ringing in as phone support don't have a clue when it comes to email.

Instead wait for the Forum Team to pick up on this thread.  They will be able to escalate this to the IT department, they'll send you a PM to grab the necessary information they need and they should be able to give you a reference number when they escalate it.

Once escalated you do need to allow them about 7 days to get a response back.

@ModTeam - Can you ask someone to pick up on this please?

Tim

Edit - As an aside, don't try and shortcut the process by PM'ing the Forum Team out of the blue.  Wait until they ask you in thread, normally they'll back this up with a PM of their own at the same time.

techifan
Superfast
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

It will need technical support, but I don't recommend ringing in as phone support don't have a clue when it comes to email.

Instead wait for the Forum Team to pick up on this thread.  They will be able to escalate this to the IT department, they'll send you a PM to grab the necessary information they need and they should be able to give you a reference number when they escalate it.

Once escalated you do need to allow them about 7 days to get a response back.

@ModTeam - Can you ask someone to pick up on this please?

Tim

Edit - As an aside, don't try and shortcut the process by PM'ing the Forum Team out of the blue.  Wait until they ask you in thread, normally they'll back this up with a PM of their own at the same time.

Thanks, Tim

0 Kudos
techifan
Superfast
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator

As this is causing me inconvenience I was hoping to have received an offer of help from the Forum team by now. ?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B Can you ask someone to pick up on this.  If I may say rather than asking the usual questions about general account settings, that they pick up on the VM402 error and take the information they need to escalate this to the email teams or IT department.

Tim

Forum Team (Retired) John_GS
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Hi techifan,

Sorry to hear you're having email issues. 

I'll be sending you a PM so I can check our back office systems to hopefully sort this out for you.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

techifan
Superfast
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Thank you John.

0 Kudos