Menu
Brun747
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can't send emails

I am unable to send emails from my main email address. The Server info is all correct. I have set this account up on another lap top which also has an ntlworld account and the server details are identical yet this email is unable to send emails. They recieve fine.

Help 😞

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send emails

1. Do you mean - “I have set this account up on another lap top which also has an ntlworld account and the server details are identical” - and it works?

2. Is this other laptop connected to the internet via your broadband connection?

3. Precisely what error message do you get when trying to send?

Please clarify -

a) What computer(s) you are using - Windows/MAC/other and which version of Operating System.

b) Which application – client such as Outlook/T-Bird etc – or Webmail.

c) When did this last work – and what if anything has changed on your system since then?

d) If using an email client, are you using the settings specified here -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients

0 Kudos
Brun747
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

1. Yes the other email address has the exact server settings and works perfectly.

2. Yes 

3. I don't actually get an error message as such. It just hangs in the outbox and the box requesting a password just keeps popping up. The password is correct and i have tried a new password. In Thunderbird it comes up with "Login to server smtp.virginmedia.com with username (Dad's email) failed.

I've tried the email account on 2 different windows 10 laptops and have tried Thunderbird and Windows live mail. I have also set a working email address up on both laptops along side the broken email and have had no issues sending email.

Sending emails using webmail works correctly.

The email address in question is actually my Dad's and the last email he was able to send was 27/12/2018 - nothing that i'm aware of has changed on the system.

The settings in the link are the ones in use except for the incoming server which is Pop3 for me.

Thanks for looking.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

1. You should read some of the similar reports of this issue to ensure that you are not making any of the obvious mistakes. Put - “Thunderbird login to server imap.virginmedia.com failed” into – either – a Google search, or the search bar at the top of this page and read through the results.

2. It could be a back-end IMAP  fault for this address and the procedure for that sort of investigation is for the Forum Team to refer it to IT support. I can flag it for the Forum Team’s attention.

3. Before we do that, you need to clarify who the owner of the Broadband account is – is it you or your Dad? All detailed info about the account and its addresses should be channelled through the account holder – the billpayer. If that’s your Dad, then I expect you can of course advise him precisely what to type.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

It might also be worth setting up a logging session in Thunderbird to see what error code is sent by the server.

I have an idea of what it might be but as assumption is the mother of all mess ups, it's always best to find out.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Brun747
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@BillC45 wrote:

1. You should read some of the similar reports of this issue to ensure that you are not making any of the obvious mistakes. Put - “Thunderbird login to server imap.virginmedia.com failed” into – either – a Google search, or the search bar at the top of this page and read through the results.

2. It could be a back-end IMAP  fault for this address and the procedure for that sort of investigation is for the Forum Team to refer it to IT support. I can flag it for the Forum Team’s attention.

3. Before we do that, you need to clarify who the owner of the Broadband account is – is it you or your Dad? All detailed info about the account and its addresses should be channelled through the account holder – the billpayer. If that’s your Dad, then I expect you can of course advise him precisely what to type.

I'm not the owner of the account but i'm doing this sat next to my Dad who is and have authourisation for full access to all of his information. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The key error message in the log is VM304 – which can mean - address terminated – or at least unable to access on the back-end server. So, this does indeed look like an issue which needs investigation by the IT support team. You say that the address works via webmail, so it is still there, and the problem may (hopefully) just be a broken link in the access route from a client.

So, I’ll close by referring this to the Forum Team for them to pursue.

@ModTeam  - This looks like a broken back-end access route. Can you appoint the Forum Team to pursue please.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brun747

Sorry you are having a few niggles with your email

What I can do is get this investigated 

If you check the purple envelope top of your screen 

You will see a further email from myself 

Hope to hear back from you

Gareth_L