Menu
aatwo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Can't access NTL WORLD emails

Hi all. My dad has an old NTL WORLD email address attached to his Virgin Media account. He's been accessing his emails for years using Thunderbird but at some point last year authentication started failing for inbound emails and he was unable to recieve anything despite still being able to send emails.

He has attempted to resolve the issue over the phone multiple times without success so he asked for my help. Today I've tried to access the account on my PC using Mozilla thunderbird and I get the exact same issue. Both POP3 and IMAP fail to authenticate, but outbound SMTP works fine and can send emails without issue.

Additionally attempting to access the emails online via https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox won't work and always displays an error (Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour...). I've checked this numerous times over the last few weeks.

How can I get this resolved? He's a dope and now has several accounts he's forgotten passwords for which can no longer be accessed as he can't even reset the passwords as he won't recieve the emails...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't access NTL WORLD emails

A great explanation of the issue and it is clear what the issue is. The mailbox has been disabled by VM for security reasons. However it is no use you posting. If you want this fixed via the Forum (who can do this)  your father will have to open Forum account and post here. He can just add to your thread. VM staff here will only deal with the account holder to ensure data protection rules are complied with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
aatwo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't access NTL WORLD emails

Thanks for the reply and info. I've been on the phone with Virgin Media bouncing around for over two hours and no-one has given me any idea of what the issue might be. I'm glad people like you exist.

As it turns out the account is in my Mums name for some reason despite the email account belonging to my Dad so I will have her comment as you suggest. Thanks!
0 Kudos