cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email

oldblue
Tuning in

Hi

I have a Blueyonder email which I have had for many years and still use. Recently I received an email from someone saying they have my email address and password which the email showed and was correct. This person is threatening and asking for money. Although I have this email account I do not now have any accounts with Virgin. I have tried to access the email account with the password I have but am unable to gain access. Can any one please help or advise. Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Thanks for getting back. Yes I have tried this but comes up with an error message incorrect information. (Please ensure you provide the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media.) which is the same address.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI: Sextortion emails: how to protect yourself - NCSC.GOV.UK Follow the advice offered and if further help is need post back here.

Have you tried resetting the password via this link Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi

Thanks for getting back. Yes I have tried this but comes up with an error message incorrect information. (Please ensure you provide the email address you use to sign in to My Virgin Media.) which is the same address.

Sorry I marked this as resolved which it is not any further help would be appreciated.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum as they are best placed to help further however be aware:

• it can take them a few hours / days to respond
  • if the email account is no longer linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account then it is likely the only help available will be its deletion

There is I think another problem how do I delete the email address if I am unable to access the email account?

Hi oldblue, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear you're being targeted a scammer and for any inconvenience this may be causing you.   If the email address in question, is not attached to an active broadband account with us, to resolve your issue, we may need to arrange for the mailbox to be deleted, sorry.  I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

I hope you dont mind me replying  This happened to me on the 20th Jan.  Its has been horrible, as they took over my facebook and instagram and also using my email to spam and check other accounts login.  I have called Virgin 6 times, they promised to change password and 3 times they just changed the virgin media password.  Every time I call they want a full history and havent much clue how to help me.    I am still seeing activity every day and its so stressful.  Virgin promised 3 times to delete my blueyonder email account but still havent.  Is am at my wits end.  Please help 

VM emails

If a hacker gets access to your email, they will use it to hack other accounts as you mention such instagram, facebook etc. They do that to get as much information about the victim  as possible, and may be for fraudulent purposes or identity theft.

As the virgin media email does not have 2 factor authentication (2FA) hackers only need a password to get into VM email. I do use a strong password with 20 digits  for my VM account/email which make it harder and less likely to be hacked and change the password often, I do that regularly every few months or so.

Wise to change your recovery email(s) on any accounts linked to a hacked email, replace with a gmail.com or outlook.com email and set up 2FA. which links to a mobile phone number(s)

If accounts are compromised, try to recover them, I had a similar event with facebook  in the past when I was locked out in 2020 and had to prove my identity.

If no longer a customer VM can delete out a compromised legacy email, but if still a customer it should be possible to recover the account yourself  or with a forum member and then change the password and security question once access is gained, a primary email address can not be removed if the VM account is still active, I have an old ntlworld.com email still active and pwned so gets spam.

Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media

Note any legacy email should be not be active after 90 days, so odd so many old emails seem to be hacked.

The email password is the same as the VM account password.

I use outlook.com to log in to my VM account and find that more secure as it has 2FA, and that gives access also to the VM email page.

I no longer use the VM email to link to any of my accounts such as banks, online shopping, facebook, instagram, twitter etc and have switched to other email providers now.

I have noticed the VM security captcha robot check  only appears very  rarely now, it used to do a robot check every time I logged in , but not now?

High Alf28

Thanks for your reply. The main concern I have at the moment is I am unable to access my blueyonder email account to change the password and regain control of it. I am waiting on VM to get back to me. I would be happy if VM could cancel this email account but that mey be a problem as I nolonger have a VM account. There must be some way they can delete old emails surley.