cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blueyonder email address - authentication error messages

PeteM7
Tuning in

I received my last Blueyonder email on 12/Sept/21; after that I kept getting authentication error messages whenever I tried to access my emails. 

I phoned the support line and the agent went through the diagnostic process, but was unsuccessful and said he would escalate the problem.  Not having heard anything back from them after 5 days, I phoned again and a different agent told me that Blueyonder and other legacy addresses have been done away with, and the frontline support people are having to deal with the fallout from that. 

It was claimed that customers had been warned about this in advance, but I had certainly received no notification of that in any form; it would seem that many other customers (and support staff) are in the same boat.  I was promised a call back from a manager, but that hasn’t happened (surprise, surprise!).  I was told that VM won’t reinstate access to the mailboxes to allow me to read new emails sent since 12/9/21, or download old messages that I need to refer to.  People sending email to my Blueyonder address will not get a delivery failure message (I have tried it), so they will not realise that I haven’t received it.

This is disgraceful behaviour by Virgin Media.  I have been a customer of theirs continuously for the past 13 years, used my Blueyonder mail every day, and they have collected a large sum of money from my bank account by DD every month.  This seems like a very good strategy for VM to shed a lot of long-established loyal customers very quickly.

[MOD EDIT: Post split from older thread and subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi PeteM7,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with your email address that you have had for several years with us. We can certainly understand your frustration, especially as your now unable to access these.

Due to this we would like to take a closer look at your account to see if we can assist you further with this matter.

I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

PeteM7
Tuning in

I have now been without my Blueyonder email for over 3 weeks.  It has been investigated by the helpdesk and one of the forum team, and they have both escalated the problem; but I am still without access to my mailbox. 

Although it has been denied by the Community Manager, I believe that what people have been told by customer service agents – that the older email addresses are being terminated - is probably true.  The statement which was made to me about advance warning having been given is unlikely to have been invented, even if it wasn’t done.  The only other explanations that I can think of – that accounts were locked by hackers trying to get access, or that someone at VM accidentally deleted a lot of email accounts – seem unlikely.  Anyway, it takes one mouse-click to unlock an account once a user’s identity has been verified; and deleted accounts could easily have been restored from the mailserver backups.

Contrast this with what happened when TalkTalk decided to discontinue their support for the UKgateway.net mailboxes they inherited.  This was done over a long period of time, with many reminders; first restricting mailboxes to incoming mail only, then later stopping incoming mail as well, almost 2 years later.

Thanks for the update @PeteM7, and I'm sorry to hear this remains unresolved.

Do please continue to work with @Jodi_S and hopefully we will be able to regain access to the blueyonder E-Mail account for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

PeteM7
Tuning in

Goodbye Virgin!  After 4 weeks of not being able to access my Blueyonder mailbox, and no prospect of getting it back, I have lost patience and switched to another ISP.  Needless to say, the loss of years of past emails and the fact that I haven’t been able to see the messages that people have been sending me during the last month, is extremely disruptive.

And it doesn’t help that after more than 2 months I am still waiting for an agreed amount of compensation to be paid to me for the total loss on broadband for 3 days back in July. What a shambles!

Hi PeteM7,

I'm sorry to hear that you've now left us, it's really sad to see you go.

We would still like to help however if you have not received a credit that you're entitled to - did you suffer a total loss of broadband service for 72 consecutive hours and did you report the fault to us? If so, your compensation would have been calculated and applied automatically, as per our Automatic Compensation Scheme. More details about our policy can be found here

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth