Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any concerns for virgin.net for current Virgin customers?

My elderly mother has just spent hours on the phone to Virgin Media asking about my father's virgin.net account. He has had this for many years and, when informed that he might lose this with the move to TalkTalk a few years back, he upgraded to Virgin Media fibre broadband and has been paying handsomely for this ever since. My mother has just been told by Virgin Media that they will be discontinuing virgin.net accounts, even for current customers. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Many thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Any concerns for virgin.net for current Virgin customers?

I'm not going to comment on what VM plan to do in the immediate term with legacy addresses. But I  CAN give you one absolute. At some point, virgin.net addresses WILL  no longer work.

Migrate to a new email address NOW. A non ISP provided one is better, one with decent security better still.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @Kippies. I have been trying to persuade him to do this for some time now - not least because he can then start paying a sensible amount for his internet requirements - but he is always in the middle of something too important to risk disrupting it with email problems. Maybe I should treat this as the excuse I need to move him.
Thanks again
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I think @Kippies is wrong here.  But I'm willing to be proved wrong myself.

@Kev_B can we get an official announcement on the future of virgin.net addresses that are attached to live broadband accounts.

@theotherdy I would however recommend that you try getting them to move from a virgin.net address, for the simple reason that it is a bad idea to tie yourself to a particular ISP for the sake of an email address.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @ravenstar68. I've just been asked by my sister whether, if virgin.net is going to be discontinued, there is some plan to migrate people to virgin.com or similar? The problem is that I would imagine that the vast majority of those affected by the demise of virgin.net - either the original TalkTalk batch or this potential new batch - are older people who are the least well equipped to deal with the fallout. It seems a pity that, given how much over the odds they have been paying, as Virgin customers, that Virgin is not prepared to support them...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

There aren't any plans to retire virgin.net addresses currently, so I can confirm that's definitely not the case.

We do advise, however, that any email addresses be linked to an active Virgin Media service to ensure they can continue to be used.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @Kev_B - great to know. Do you have any mechanism for feeding that back to the call centre(s) to avoid panicking OAPs in future?

I think @Kippies 's point is still valid though, that I need to move my father away from Virgin Media sooner rather than later.
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Kev_B I've just re-read your message and realised that, although my parents do have a live Virgin Media account, I don't know whether my father's virgin.net account is 'linked'. How do I ascertain this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

He (they/you) should sign in to My Virgin Media, as if to view bills, service status, etc.

Then use the My profile tab, scroll down to My services - is the address shown in that spot?  Or on the Manage accounts tab if a secondary address?  See photos:

Post back here if you have any concerns.

my services.pngnew account.png

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ *\o/* ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @MissPasko - will get them to login and take a look!
0 Kudos