cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you can imagine, with costs such as energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So, to make sure we can keep giving you the service you expect, the price of your package may be going up. If you have been contacted and want to find out more, click below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/pricechange2023 

270 Comments
Peter729
On our wavelength

No doubt the same for all their customers. What do you think of this?

A  cunning plan to reduce traffic on the network by getting rid of their customers 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Kain_W wrote:

As a business, we are not immune to rising costs, primarily due to wider economic changes from rising inflation.

Let's take that at face value, and perhaps you can now answer a simple question: Why don't the company apply this 13.8% increase to what customers are actually paying?  Even if we accept that there is some need to increase costs by well over the prevailing level of inflation, there's no case for increasing customers actual bills by 20, 30, even approaching 40% in some cases.  other than rampant greed by the most over-paid CEO in Britain.

VM's practices on pricing really ought to be illegal.  I'm pretty sure some of them will be after the next general election.

Gds2
Joining in

Hiya I've had a notification that I will be getting a £15 increase on my £62 package which will make it £77 a month I've been trying to cancel it and as they do they've made different offers and I've been offered a deal for £46 a month and no price rises for the length of the contract 18 month which is not bad it still gives me the same TV channels and the phone line talk weekends but drops my broadband speed down to the 250 I think it is which is a big bloody difference It irks me that they were going to charge me £77 for more or less the same package!! So I've tried to cancel my contract and twice I was hung up on and I was left overnight on the live chat !! So the next day I've got through to a lady and she told me that I can't cancel until my February bill is paid as I missed it on the 14th. I made a promise to pay on the 28th.. my point is why wasn't I told that by the others that hung up on me twice.... Unbelievable it's really browned me off the customer service is terrible and I think that it's just because I want to cancel..I can't believe how difficult it is to do so...it's like they do it on purpose...so I'm still going to cancel just because of the way that I've been treated...and talk talk have made me a good deal broadband TV phone with Netflix thrown in for around £40 so I'm going to pay my bill on the £28th and cancel I've just been really disappointed by virgin these last few days anyway good luck to everyone who is changing their contract......GDS....

unisoft
Well-informed

"and no price rises for the length of the contract 18 month " - watch out, as it will likely say "discount" on your contract which means you will get a price increase. I have the same thing going on and was told my deal would be exempt as all deals were being done as fixed for the 18 months.

What's more, next April is when changes to T&C's come in. Beginning then, you will have February's RPI AND an additional 3.9% added yearly and they will have remove the right to cancel without penalty within 30 days of being notified.

Remember, price increases are done on the FULL package price and not just on your discounted price which could be quite a chunk cheaper and mean a hefty increase amount each year.

So a headline negotiated price discount might sound like a retention deal sealed, but you may want to think about next year and beyond for the term of the 18months renewal with regards to the above changes.

This year any customer can exit penalty free by Ofcom rules and it's the last year if you agree to a new contract or carry on with existing (but automatically accepting the T&C's change). This is true if you have no price increase (some people won't get one under specific scenarios), but you don't agree to the substantial T&C's change regarding future price increases. You would have had an email or letter covering the price increase and T&C's change (or soon will have).

If you cancel be sure to mention you are cancelling under Ofcom rules and within the 30 day notice period from notification. There is no ambiguity and should be no claims of exit fees then.

BadlyDrawnBlue
On our wavelength

BadlyDrawnBlue_0-1677241179181.png

Another bullsh!t con they are pulling as a desperate measure to keep retention figures up.

Even if you go to the lengths of recording the call, try making them stand-by any statement made by their call handlers. You'll fail.

mabelsyrup
Tuning in

And, just received my price rise email...a 24.1379% increase.

Received email from Virgin at 13:39 today. Called rep from my local full fibre people, he popped round to my house to check things out by 14:10. Signed up instantly, 500mbps synchronous for £30 a month, free for six months. Quite a nice router as well, as opposed to the Hub 3 which I currently have, which, as we all know is poo. Installation 2 weeks today.

Will be cancelling virgin shortly, happy to run them both together for a brief while.

This could just be my experience, but it seems that the traditional providers are gonna have to have a word with themselves, and fast.

MrGiles22
Dialled in

I am appalled by the price increase of £15 a month, my 18 month contract ends early June 2023 which means my monthly bill (I was on an offer) will increase from £63 a month currently to £100 a month in June. Trying to get in touch with Virgin is hopeless, 45 minute wait!! Now, I don't want to go back to Sky because their broadband is rubbish! (I am currently on 256mgps) which is more than enough for me although I do have a few streaming services. Will keep trying to contact Virgin though and try to haggle a better price. 

unisoft
Well-informed

VM are praying the ALTNETS go bust so they can buy them up and integrate into the VM way of operating.

They are already expected to bid for Trooli for example, which has a decent presence around some parts of Kent.

naz2
Tuning in

I guess I am one of the (un)lucky ones who is NOT getting a price increase, just when another provider has added gigabyte broadband to my street 😕 

Peter729
On our wavelength
2 hours ago

I guess I am one of the (un)lucky ones who is NOT getting a price increase, just when another provider has added gigabyte broadband to my street 😕 

I’m also waiting for my notification and then bye bye 😂

mabelsyrup
Tuning in

Cancellation is proving to be quite challenging. I went through 150 and got retentions, who offered me no price rise. I'm getting way more for a lot less with my next provider, so the answer was no. Then told he couldn't cancel it. Currently awaiting a reply via WhatsApp. Feeling a tad fobbed off if I'm honest.

Is there a magic word I need to know to get them to cancel?

acdeag
Up to speed

Have you actually had a price rise notification from them yet, email or letter?

neilied
On our wavelength

@acdeag

Have you actually had a price rise notification from them yet, email or letter?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/pricechange2023 

I have had 2  emails.

email 1: for myself Volt M250 (no sim) £44 - £17 = £27 increase of £7 from April 15.9% increase on base price.

email 2: my mothers property Mix tv ( tv360), M125, talk anytime £77 - £9 =£68 increase of £12. 15.6% increase on base. 

acdeag
Up to speed

You just have to be persistent. I just kept repeating myself that I wanted to cancel. Of course they can cancel if you received the letter and are within the deadline they set in that letter.

shelby77
Joining in

just had a bill to say my bill is going up by 21 pounds a month!!!! This is ridiculous and unaffordable at the moment.
I’m thinking getting rid all together and trying sky or just going with broadband only. Anyone had any experience with with of these services? 

cabinboy
Joining in

my price rise letter says monthly payments going up 20% from 1st April. All I can see is price rises vary with an average around 13% so why is mine so high. Anyone else had a huge rise or is mine the record? Obviously hugely dissatisfied with a totally unjustifiable price increase without the courtesy of an explanation.

Peter729
On our wavelength

@cabinboy

Your increase is based on the list price of the VM products you have rather than the discounted prices you negotiated/ were offered.

acdeag
Up to speed

The price is increased but the discount isn’t

Leonardshaircut
Tuning in

If you just decide to get rid of the phone or tv, do you then enter into a new 18m contract?

BadlyDrawnBlue
On our wavelength

That's up to the deal you negotiate with them.