cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

As you can imagine, with costs such as energy bills rising fast, our running costs are increasing too. So, to make sure we can keep giving you the service you expect, the price of your package may be going up. If you have been contacted and want to find out more, click below.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/pricechange2023 

270 Comments
acdeag
Up to speed

RPI is a discredited measure, you would expect more from Virgin Media O2. RPI includes mortgage costs which CPI doesn't amongst other differences. I am sure VMO2 is well affected by mortgages.

Peter729
On our wavelength

I’m hoping to go to YouFibre I’m just waiting for the Virgin price increase letter. 

acdeag
Up to speed

A friend of mine got the £143/month Oomph package she was on that was going up £21 reduced to £73/month for an 18 month Volt deal. That was on her third call, each call she got given a different "final" offer.

Peter729
On our wavelength

People are fed up with time wasting negotiations, it makes you wonder why fair prices cannot be set. I suppose the only upside of the price negotiations is that it creates jobs within the provider’s organisation.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Licklemouse
Joining in

Since being moved over too o2 there has been two price rises why this is getting beyond a joke now 

oGunnersoAFC
Settling in

Hi all,

Does anyone know when we will be getting the letters for May's price increase? only a few days left before march and we have 30 days to give notice before so is there any legal timeframe they have to give before they increase it?

Heard nothing from VM yet today i get letter through my door from CityFibre/Vodafone telling me i can leave penalty free and get faster speeds (especially upload) for nearly £9 less than what I'm paying now let alone the the extra 18%.

Got a few gaming friends with them who claim to have zero issues with them but we all have issues from time to time but since i come to VM I've had first 4 weeks ok then intermittent issues since October so be glad to get away even though VM do credit my account with "goodwill gestures" for services i cant use.

oGunnersoAFC
Settling in

Spoke to VM on phone and woman told me my bill is going up from £36 to £43 19.5% increase so I logged on to MyVM to see if there is anything on there and there wasnt so clicked on the bot who took all my details down and told me I'm not affected by price increase (took SS).

Rung retentions and as usual if you want to leave they keep you on hold for 30 mins as a battle of wills while offering me £3.50 discount for 6 months to stay so i get booted on to 19.5% increase after that.

Bloke in retentions told me yes my bill is going up to £43 in May but they can offset the increase for remainder of contract....declined, told him i want to know when this letter or email is coming but no answer,

leelu
Joining in

Does anyone know if Sky Sports is going up? I was going to add to my Big bundle but depends on what the new price will be?

acdeag
Up to speed

I believe there is only a 30 day commitment to adding sports and movies. So if it does you can remove it, do check though.

neilied
On our wavelength

Figuring out alternatives. Three mobile 5G home broadband no landline needed free for 3 months then £20/month or a new one for me, OneStream fibre. £19.95/month. How can VM justify £35+

BadlyDrawnBlue
On our wavelength

Because they were previously working in a monopolised market.

They were the only supplier with direct fibre access to the majority of homes. So they could almost charge what they wanted.

Many people, myself included, are only just becoming aware of alternative suppliers and there have also been major steps in recent years with the practicality of mobile broadband. By the latter I mean access to fast broadband via a sim card.

They are going to have to learn to price their offer accordingly.

Batman44
Joining in

I have a fixed price broadband package of £27pm + volt deal. 1 Broadband package 200m x 2 O2 volt sims, i pay £27pm for the broadband and £16pm to O2 for the sims. The contract started in Sept 2023 for 18 months so March 24 it expires. Today like many received notice of the price increase of £9pm. This is a 33% increase! not even 5 months into the contract, I shall be cancelling.   

mrq2022
Tuning in

£9 is 20% for me.

How can Virgin Media raise prices beyond inflation when it knows that wages haven't risen anywhere near that number?

It's incredibly unfair. Especially for those of us who live in areas where it is the only available fast broadband provider.

unisoft
Well-informed

@Batman44 wrote:

I have a fixed price broadband package of £27pm + volt deal. 1 Broadband package 200m x 2 O2 volt sims, i pay £27pm for the broadband and £16pm to O2 for the sims. The contract started in Sept 2023 for 18 months so March 24 it expires. Today like many received notice of the price increase of £9pm. This is a 33% increase! not even 5 months into the contract, I shall be cancelling.   

It must say FIXED in your contract. It usually says "discount" if a negotiated offer or new customer offer. Price increases are done on the full package prices before any discount was applied to your contract.

From next year, its going to be published RPI and additional 3.9% on top. So yearly prices rises will use this formula and you can't exit the contract. This year you can exit without any penalty if still in contract if done within 30 days of notification by email or letter by VM.

There are also certain exclusions to the general rule for some folk not getting any price rise this year. I did think that new customer offers were being honoured without price increase, but I could be wrong....

mabelsyrup
Tuning in

Still no contact for me : Although my time with Virgin has been fine, I'm itching to get away. New fibre provider in my area offering 300mbps synchronous for £30 a month, free for the first 6 months. Currenly paying that to virgin for 150mbps down and 20 up.

Really hoping they get on with sending that letter or email.....

Batman44
Joining in

I left in sept 22 and gave notice to quit, retentions office contacted a week later offering a new Broadband and Volt 02 deal at £27 for broadband and £16 for 2 sims. I have a printout of the contract saying £27pm for 18 months, O2 are separate contracts on this deal, not read the small print yet but 33% is scandalous thats broadband for £36, yuet they offer the same currently at £29 on the website and large package deal at £29!

The email is so confusing, £9 increase, does it mean from May 23 or May 24? it's not a discount deal from my old contract but a completely new offer not even 5 months in! 

Tsubodai14
On our wavelength

It might be that price increases are done on the "headline" price of the package, but that's disingenuous I feel, as you have entered into a contract with VM to provide the services for a certain amount, which you pay them each month. I'm not arguing that they can't do it, just my view on the % increase.

As per the OP, I've just been notified of a 33% increase on the price I pay each month; I never used to have many fibre BB options, but I do now and, as such, coupled with the recent "Roger/Phillip" "not a hack" response from VM, I'll be leaving.

idkwia
Up to speed

So VM are increasing the cost of my package by 25% which is way over inflation. They also tell me that every April going forward they are going to increase the cost by inflation PLUS an extra 3.9%.

No doubt the same for all their customers. What do you think of this?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Batman44,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

As a business, we are not immune to rising costs, primarily due to wider economic changes from rising inflation. With rising customer usage, we’re continuing to invest in our network and services to meet customer demand, as well as innovating and improving network performance and reliability to ensure our broadband service continues to deliver the fastest widely available speeds in the UK.

Your individual price rise will be specific to you. Some price rises are lower, and some customers will be excluded completely.
Regards,

Batman44
Joining in

Hi Team,

Yes I understand that generic response as posted with the notification emails sent out to everyone, CPI + 3% is the genral increase as with other in the industry not 33%!

I was expecting around £3-4 extra but no, greed seems to be the order here, and the same excuses about investment is always used, that should not be on the back of loyal customers. Any possible pay increase I get does not even cover my water bill increase let alone anything else and my person and household expenditure already has been reduced to the minimum.

I entered into a contract in good faith, that mean I promise to pay the said amount for 18 months, I kept my part of the deal but Virgin Media contracts work only one way, you have the right to increase whatever you want and lump it or like it or leave, until 2024 that is when it changes, this increase is more than my Council Tax, and Rent Increase for the next 12 months! really?

Fortunately Grain are laying cable in my area so I hopefully will have a choice soon, but as it happens I did speak on the phone to retentions, I think it was them on the "thinking about leaving option". They informed my that they can apply a discount of £9 to my account to cover the increase for the duration of the contract so i am not out of pocket when it hits, would or is this correct? It seems to have been applied but I dont want to be in a situation when 30 days have passed and that discount is removed so I pay the extra £9 on my bill with no option to leave. It has not altered my contract or a new contract.

Its a sad time when trustworthyness in your business practises are questioned, especially to a longtime loyal customer who still has an NTL email account active, and Freeflow before that!

I thank you for your comment, and I do hope you can confirm my question about the discount, I have the name,date,time of the conversation.

Regards