cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers as well as existing customers without a Hub 4 who upgrade to Gig1. Currently there is no other way to get a Hub 5.

Temporarily, due to stock levels at the end of last year and the start of this year. Some Gig1 customers expecting a Hub 5 may have received a Hub 4 instead. We'll be contacting these Gig1 customers to offer them a Hub 5 via email.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
1,355 Comments
davewillo
On our wavelength

Do you have any before/after speed tests for comparison?

TeddyTRK
Superfast

@nad_haque What speeds are you getting?

sgreen93
Dialled in

Has anyone heard back about the trial yet? Or can the VM team give an indication of when people are likely to be told?

JayMcB79
On our wavelength

No I've gotten dam all. I was hoping no news was good news 

nad_haque
Dialled in

On WiFi I’m getting around 730mbps on Ethernet I’m getting 1300mbps sometimes 1400 but mainly around 1250-1350

gap84
Up to speed
nad_haque
Dialled in

No. Samknows supports Hub 4 only 

gap84
Up to speed

Thanks!  Thats a shame, would have been useful to see the stats from the Hub 5

Amigafreak77
Tuning in

How come someone who is getting over 700mb on WiFi and over 1200mb on wired connection using this [REMOVED] hub 4!

Seriously when I was on the older hub I was getting faster speeds when I was on 200mb package. I'm finding it a waste of money right now. WiFi I get around 300-370mb and wired around 800-900mb. My only hope is to get the hub 5 and hope it will resolve the speed issues I'm having right now. 

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

I got a message your vm kit will be delivered saturday by yodel?

josh94
Superfast

To be honest, the Hub 4 is fine until they bring out Gig4, I have zero issues with the bonded balance-rr, infact I have kind of forgotten about the network now. The main reason to go to Hub 5 for me will be both the 2.5Ghz AND MAINLY the cpu change.

theroninhunter
Superfast

I got on to the trial

IllLustration
Up to speed

@Josh94 Yup, exactly. Once it's working the main objection to Hub4 disappears. Of course a 2.5G port would be nice, but it turns out not to be absolutely necessary.

I'm going with a Linux box: my old 2012 Mac Mini, formerly a NAS and router to my old VDSL connection. There are all sorts of reasons why having complete control over your router is absolutely bloody marvellous, and more fanless routers with 10G ports (that aren't absurdly server-grade) ought to be made.

jamilayz
Dialled in

Nothing yet from VM regarding trial?

dmason197
Fibre optic

dmason197_0-1656663470630.png

theroninhunter
Superfast

Well I was on the trial and due to a "system" error they couldn't send out the equipment to me. 

So booted me out of the trial. 

dmason197
Fibre optic
6 minutes ago
Hub 5 and WiFi Pods trial - update

Hi there,

Sorry to be contacting you again, but it’s come to light whilst processing your equipment that we’ve encountered an unforeseen issue that is blocking our systems from sending out equipment to certain accounts. Regrettably, we’ve identified your account as being one those impacted and this means you’ll no longer be able to take part in our trial.

I appreciate you'll be disappointed by this, and we’re sorry about the inconvenience but we’ll let you know should another opportunity to add you to the trial present itself.

Thanks,

nad_haque
Dialled in

Virgin media is having a laugh. How comes they give the trial. You participate in the trial. Get accepted and then they say they can’t process the equipment. 100% something is wrong with their systems. Either they don’t have enough equipment for the 100 people who were in the trial. Or don’t want to give the hub as of yet.

nad_haque
Dialled in

What I suggest is for all those who were removed from the trial to book an engineer and ask the engineer personally to get the hub 5 installed. It may be a bit of inconvenience but at least you will have the hub as most engineers are carrying. Or make an official complaint about this trial.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Well If u make an official complaint would we get anywhere?

After all I suppose they will state under the terms and conditions they can suspend or withdraw our participation?

Atleast I'm not the only one who has been taken off the equipment trials?

Kind regards 

Dean