Menu

Hub 5: Our first ever WiFi 6 broadband router

Kei_M
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We’re rolling the Hub 5 out in phases, and we’re emailing specific groups of customers over time to invite them to order ahead of a wider launch in 2022. Only customers who receive the email invite will be able to order for the time being.

Why is the rollout being phased?

We’re ironing out some kinks around customers who have Gig1, Intelligent WiFi Pods, and home phone via hub. Once we've addressed these issues we'll start to include these customers in the rollout. You'll receive an email with an invite to order when this is ready.

Update 24th Feb 22: we've started to send email invites to a small number of customers who have home phone via hub ahead of offering this more widely to this cohort of customers. We'll share an update when we have some more news.

Update 1st Sep 22: we've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers. We'll continue to email out invites to other customers inviting them to upgrade to a Hub 5.

Why can't I get Intelligent WiFi Plus with the Hub 5?

We're working on making the Hub 5 compatible with our Intelligent WiFi Pods and this will be available soon but in the meantime you'll be able to grab a PowerLine Booster if you need to extend your WiFi in your home.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
IllLustration
On our wavelength

Reading some reports that the modem end of the bond expires after a time. Does anyone using this find that their downstream capacity reduces periodically and what do you do to fix it? Reboot the hub?

Tdeverick97
Joining in

I'm on the biggest bundle and still have not got a invite for this new hub as the hub 4 is terrible don't get full connection speed and tired of phoning up complaining with no solution in sight

RockerG
On our wavelength

Whats the phone socket for?

The Hub we have now before I change over hasnt a socket for that, while the actual phone point is some two rooms away from the router! If the phone now HAS to go in the router means I need to buy a walkabout phone then.

Current setup with the PC and printers via ethernet, is 212d/20u while the best of the wireless modes is only 75d/19u so looking forward to far better wifi with the new Hub 5, rather than at times having to use 4G on the phones and ipad or they just sit circling...

With the Hub 5 will I actually get the speeds on wifi that I expect to for the monthly bill?

McKenize333
On our wavelength

Any updates Lisa_CC

Cmrobertson33
Dialled in

Hi

I am a Gig 1 customer and wondering when the Hub 5 is available? This would solve my Wifi speed issue in my house. Many thanks. Craig.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most likely end of this year. As testing is still continuing 

eZee
Tuning in

Any news on a firmware update that let's up pick our own IP range? Had my hub5 in modem mode since December - so no 2.5Gbps - because the option to choose IP range was removed.

Also when this hub will work with the Virgin app?

JJG92
Dialled in

There is no release dates yet. Im aware that they have reached to a point where they are now launching an upgrade for media connect app to provide connectivity for hub 4 and 5.

Once the app is out, within a week or two the hub 4 and 5 will be available on certain charges or package requirements.

Not able to obtain any certain date,  could be any time this year.

dmason197
Fibre optic

Is there any further update on this?

Kind regards 

Dean

VenomCookie
Joining in

I'd love to have the Hub 5 for a review- I review tech products, and I'd love to review this one. Unfortunately, I have not received a hub 5 yet, although I've had poor connection and have had Gig1 since January 2021- please can you send one over? Thanks.

dmason197
Fibre optic

It would be nice for some kind of an official response from Virgin Media?

Kind regards 

Dean

davewillo
On our wavelength

Do Virgin Media monitor these forums?

dmason197
Fibre optic

Yes they do hence why they put up an announcement on the forums

Why is the rollout being phased?

We’re ironing out some kinks around customers who have Gig1, Intelligent WiFi Pods, and home phone via hub. Once we've addressed these issues we'll start to include these customers in the rollout. You'll receive an email with an invite to order when this is ready.

Update 24th Feb 22: we've started to send email invites to a small number of customers who have home phone via hub ahead of offering this more widely to this cohort of customers. We'll share an update when we have some more news.

Kind regards 

Dean

BMWCHUBB
Up to speed

um so we have to suffer?

IllLustration
On our wavelength

Well, of course, you always have the option of modem mode and bringing in your own routing, switching, and Wi-Fi. Watch out for the 1 Gbps bottleneck on the modem, though — you'll lose bandwidth on Gig1 unless you do some pretty hairy stuff on your router which is usually beyond consumer equipment. See the recent posts in this thread for details. 

JJG92
Dialled in

@IllLustration totally agree with you I've got the Gig1 service with the hub 4 in modem mode with an Netgear RAX120 and a Netgear SX10 Pro switch connected via 5Gb port, could set up a Vlan between hub 4 and RAX120 for a 2Gb connectin but then would have to deal with a dubble latency/ nat type. Quite happy with happy with 944Mbps down wired and 750Mbps over wifi.

Dasein
On our wavelength

@jamilayz 

"We're sorry, it looks like some URL parameters are missing." - Got happy for a sec xD

Seems there's more to the URL and I doubt anybody would post a full one even if they did replace the parameters 😕 

Had enough problems with Hub 4 that I'd be willing to take the Hub 5 even if it has flaw but ♂️

dmason197
Fibre optic

Is there any more updates on the Virgin HUB FIVE 🤔 👀 

Kind regards

Dean

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dmason197 Hello there mate nothing As of yet. They are still saying to wait until end of this year probably November- December or if lucky then September. How are your speed issues by the way are they fixed?