Menu

Hub 5: Our first ever WiFi 6 broadband router

Kei_M
Community Manager

Hub 5.jpg

Back in October we announced the launch of the new Hub 5 and we’ll be offering this to customers at no extra cost as part of a phased rollout.

Our next-generation Hub works alongside Virgin Media’s ultrafast broadband network to deliver peak WiFi performance, thanks to WiFi 6.

This latest future-proof WiFi standard, which will work with Virgin Media’s existing DOCSIS 3.1 technology, is designed to power the next-generation of connected devices – including modern smartphones, laptops, tablets and next-gen games consoles.

With this latest technology and even more WiFi antennae than its predecessor, the Hub 5 will be able to support more devices, connecting at the same time, while expanding coverage and stability which improves WiFi performance.

It means the new Hub 5 boasts increased WiFi speeds, lower latency and can help reduce interference from neighbouring hubs and devices.

The Hub 5 has been designed to support multi-gigabit speeds and comes with a 2.5Gbps ethernet port alongside three additional 1Gbps ports.

FAQ

How can I get a Hub 5? / I’m on Gig1 Fibre and need the Hub 5 to maximise my service

We’re rolling the Hub 5 out in phases, and we’re emailing specific groups of customers over time to invite them to order ahead of a wider launch in 2022. Only customers who receive the email invite will be able to order for the time being.

Why is the rollout being phased?

We’re ironing out some kinks around customers who have Gig1, Intelligent WiFi Pods, and home phone via hub. Once we've addressed these issues we'll start to include these customers in the rollout. You'll receive an email with an invite to order when this is ready.

Update 24th Feb 22: we've started to send email invites to a small number of customers who have home phone via hub ahead of offering this more widely to this cohort of customers. We'll share an update when we have some more news.

Update 1st Sep 22: we've started to offer the Hub 5 as standard to new Gig1 customers. We'll continue to email out invites to other customers inviting them to upgrade to a Hub 5.

Why can't I get Intelligent WiFi Plus with the Hub 5?

We're working on making the Hub 5 compatible with our Intelligent WiFi Pods and this will be available soon but in the meantime you'll be able to grab a PowerLine Booster if you need to extend your WiFi in your home.

What are the specs?

-Broadband – DOCSIS3.1/3.0 Broadcom 3390S

-WiFi:

• 5xAntennae
    • 4x4 MiMo 5Ghz Broadcom 6715
    • 3x3 MiMo 2.4Ghz Broadcom 6710
    • WiFi 6 (802.11ax)

-Ethernet:

• 1x2.5Gbps Broadcom 54991EL
    • 3x1Gbps Broadcom 3390S
Michael_JK

@saj45 

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the difficulty connecting your phone. Can I ask, is it the Virgin Media phoneline you're trying to connect to the hub, or a third party device?

Let us know.

ArcherH
On our wavelength

Would be nice to get hold of this new hub!

Lisa_CC

Hey there @ArcherH  and thanks for showing an interest in the Hub 5. At the moment, it's invite only but will be eventually rolled out to everyone.

Regards

josh94
Superfast

When is the launch looking like in 2022?

Kei_M
Community Manager

Once we've got some firm dates we'll update this page with them @josh94 👍

matiushu
On our wavelength

Will Virgin Media provide the Hub 5 to all customers. I currently have M200 fibre broadband.

What are the dimensions of the Hub 5 in cm ?

eZee
Tuning in

Just got the hub 5. I wanted to use it in router mode as per my old hub 3. But it looks like the option to choose your own IP range has been removed! Documentation didn't mention this so only found out when connecting it up. Had to switch to modem mode and stand up my own router to keep my preferred range. But no access to wifi 6 as a result, which was the main incentive to switch. Gutted!

I would say put a few lines in the documentation (or one of those handy ticks and crosses tables) that shows what features have been taken out as well as what's new. If features existed in hub 3 or 4, you know there will be people using them and, like me, they'll all be unhappy if it's removed in an update unannounced.

Even better, can we get a firmware update that allows us to pick our own IP ranges again? 

matiushu
On our wavelength

eZee, Please post a photo of the Hub 5 and the dimensions as I cannot find this anywhere

eZee
Tuning in

24.4cm high (including feet)

19cm (front to back)

4.5cm wide

The rubber stabilizer at the back is 7cm wide

Picture here:  Virgin Media O2 UK Officially Launches HUB 5 Broadband Router UPDATE3 - ISPreview UK

Beddo518
Tuning in

Got the new hub 5 but isn’t compatible with Virgin app and won’t connect to nest outside camera 

JasJohal
Tuning in

I received my HUB 5 a few weeks back. Everything is fine and set up on mobile and PC devices but it’s not connecting to my Printer. In wireless settings on the printer it picks up my WiFi network name but when I put my password in it’s not connecting. Even reset network defaults on printer and still no joy. Never had this issue before with Virgin routers.  Any tips? 

Hman
Tuning in

People need to be made aware that the HUB 5 is not compatible with your Home telephone if it connects via the Hub.  

matiushu
On our wavelength

Hman, so your virgin media telephone will not work with the hub 5.

Why would virgin media promote a hub that will not support the phone and is there a workaround to make it work

Hman
Tuning in

No idea, I thought the same. They offered for me to go back to my Hub 3 as a solution!  Defeated the whole object of inviting me to upgrade to Hub 5.  I can only guess someone in Virgin Media had a target to release Hub 5 before end of 2021 without fully doing quality control (or bothering to talk to their infrastructure people).  If you are considering upgrading to Hub 5 but rely on home telephone which connects via the Hub, then I wouldn't recommend upgrading.

matiushu
On our wavelength

Can you ask them to give you hub 4 ?

budda
Tuning in

I've still got a SuperHub 2ac and like @eZee mentioned i too also use a non-192.168.x.x IP range to avoid clashing with other networks when connected to work VPNs.

What was the last VM hub revision that supported the flexible IP range setting through the UI?

andrewmm
Fibre optic

Why does Hub 5 have the same fault as Hub 4, cant set own IP address range,

Crazy , do Virgin listen at all ?

matiushu
On our wavelength

Does Hub 4 support telephone as VOE ?

Hurmish
On our wavelength

From what I have been told, The Virgin hub 5 is currently not compatible with Docsis 3.1 so wont work properly for gig 1 customers, and voip doesnt work so if you connect your phone to the hub, well good luck. this is the reason for select customers recieving the hub, it is essentially still in trial phase.

matiushu
On our wavelength

Please can somebody confirm if they have 1 gig on hub 4 with voip phone ?