Menu

Get the most from your Gig1 service and Hub 4

Virgin Media Staff

Learn how to get the most out of your Hub 4 and Gig1 service with our handy FAQ.

Hub4_1440px.jpg

How do I make the most of my Gig1 service?

1 Gbps enables multiple devices to download films, upload files, stream in Ultra HD and play to the max, all at the same time

Ethernet connected devices will always receive the fastest, most consistent speeds and the 4 x 1 Gbps ports on our brand new Hub 4 allow multiple devices to share the 1 Gbps connection.

For WiFi devices, the closer to the Hub, the faster WiFi speed they will receive. But remember, lots of things in your home can impact WiFi performance. To get the best speed from your router, we recommend connecting your device directly with an Ethernet cable.

How do I find out my guaranteed speed?

All your speed information can be found on our speeds page.

This provides your upload and download ranges and your minimum guaranteed download speed.

Why am I not getting 1 Gbps when I test my speed?

Many factors can impact a speed test result. These include how the speed test is built, hardware limitations in your device, and how the device is connected to the network.

Many internet-enabled devices are simply not capable of achieving 1 Gbps speeds due to the technology within them, which cannot support such high speeds. Multiple devices will also take a share of the overall connection, and may record a lower speed test result if used at the same time as other devices in your home.

The best way to check the speed of your Gig 1 Fibre Broadband service is to use the SamKnows speed test: https://samknows.com/realspeed/. This will test the speed that we are delivering to your Hub 4 and provide the most accurate test result possible.

Why am I getting different speeds from other speed tests?

The SamKnows speed test gathers data directly from the Hub 4, which is configured for 1 Gbps.

An external speed test may also reflect limitations due to device and local environmental influences.

What is 2.4GHz & 5GHz WiFi?

Devices can connect to your Hub 4 using two different WiFi frequencies - 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

2.4 GHz WiFi is great at providing connectivity over longer distances and through obstacles (like walls, doors, floors), but it’s limited to around 100 – 160 Mbps and will share this out if many devices are connected to it.

5 GHz WiFi is super-fast and can cope with lots of devices, but it can’t reach as far as 2.4 GHz WiFi.  It can provide speeds of c900Mbps, but how much of this speed any device will be able to use is limited by the number of WiFi antennae the device has. Older devices may not be able to connect to this newer 5 GHz frequency.

Your WiFi device should automatically switch between 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz WiFi, but if you think your WiFi is slower than it should be or as it usually is, just turn the WiFi on your device off and then on again, as this helps the device choose the best WiFi to connect to.

Why wasn’t the Hub built with the 802.11ax/WiFi 6 WiFi standard?

WiFi 6 is in the early stages of adoption with only a small number of devices capable of supporting it in 2019, therefore we have focused on delivering the best possible experience using WiFi 5 (802.11ac).

Why wasn’t the Hub built a 10Gb Ethernet port?

Our Hub 4 has been built to allow our customers to benefit from gigabit speeds. It has 4 x 1Gbps ports allowing customers to connect four devices via wired Ethernet cables.

We know many customers prefer to use WiFi and so also designed the Hub 4 to provide the best possible experience to multiple devices at the same time using Wave 2 – 802.11ac with 3x3 MIMO on 2.4GHz WiFi and 4x4 Multi User MIMO on 5 GHz WiFi.

Super solver

Very vague answers as a 1Gb/s port cannot do 1Gb/s minus overheads be that this HUB 4 or even a good Motherboard with an Intel 1Gb/s LAN port hence why some new Motherboards come with 2.5Gb/s and 5Gb/s ports be it 3rd party not Intel so far but you can buy a 10Gb/s PCI-E Intel card for £70.

So I have no clue how anyone will get 1Gb/s never mind with the addition 10% Contention VM add due to Ofcom.

WIFI 6 devices have now started to be certified (I have an Intel Card that is certed as of Sep 2019) it seems VM always release something just as new feature are out so in a few years time the HUB4 will be dated well before the HUB5

WIFI 6 is backwards compatible same as before and does AC etc.

Joining in

how do I get the new hub

Superfast

Why are you preventing “normal” customers upgrading there hub from 3-4?

Joining in

I got the new hub 4 yesterday, while the WIFI seems stable compared with the Hub 3 I have been unable to get some of my smart light switches connected. With the Hub 3 I just disabled 5ghz to set them up and then re-enabled 5Ghz. They cant even connect to the Hub 4, tried everything. Ended up having to use an old Edimax Access Point/Bridge/Extender device to provide a viable 2.4Ghz network for them, wasting one of the 1gbit ports on the Hub 4 in the process. Annoyingly I was using that Edimax for a wired only device, asked VM to either send an engineer to "attempt" to resolve or pay me the £20 for the replacement wifi/ethernet bridge.. zero help. I only got the 1Gbit for the Hub4 as it was £1.50 a month more than I was paying and £40 for the unit. If you have SONOFF wifi switches I would avoid.

Super solver