cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kei_M
Community Manager
Community Manager

Each year we adjust the monthly subscription prices our customers pay for Virgin Media broadband, TV and home phone, so we can continue to invest in our network and services.

What this means for you

We know that price changes are never welcome, but like many other businesses we’re seeing increased costs while investing to keep up with growing demand.

We adjust our prices based on the UK government’s Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation. RPI measures the rate of inflation by assessing the average change from one year to the next in the prices of a representative sample of goods and services purchased by typical UK households.

FAQs

What’s the Retail Price Index (RPI)?

The Retail Price Index (RPI), published monthly by the UK government’s Office for National Statistics measures the rate of inflation by assessing the average change from one year to the next in the prices of a representative sample of goods and services purchased by typical households in the UK.

Our annual price adjustment uses the January RPI rate announced by the Office for National Statistics in February each year, plus an additional 3.9% which is applied at the same time. If the RPI rate is 0% or negative, we’ll only apply the 3.9%.

Why are you increasing prices?

We always balance our prices with the need to invest in our network, so we can provide all our customers with the best products and services. Like many businesses, we’re experiencing rising costs, which is why we review our prices each year. At the same time, we’re seeing growing demand for data, so we need to invest in our networks to keep up with customer demand.

When will my bill be affected?

You’ll see changes on your bill from your April billing period onwards. If you have recently joined or recontracted and we have informed that you that your annual price rise will take effect from April 2025, you will not receive a price rise in April 2024.

For more information please visit Annual Price Change | Virgin Media

31 Comments
patier
Tuning in

yeah right lol

Paulpal67
Superfast

With the cost pf living crisis, I'm afraid virgin are well down the pecking order for priorities.

Morrile2
On our wavelength

I shall be leaving VM as moving to a location that doesn't have VM 😁. I shall call them tomorrow as I have had enough of their poor services.

TV boxes failing, offering over 1GB yet issues a router that cannot support the additional speed, My Virgin Media account that I am forced to change the password every time to gain access, as it's linked to an email address that I cannot connect to since June last year, yet support say they cannot see any issues, it's now beyond a joke.

sayekm
Fibre optic

I thought the increase will be based on the pre-discount price but surprised its based on the discounted prices.  My M125 price will increase by £0.52p

Great prices and many happy years to come with Virgin 😎

Nel13
On our wavelength

My contract came to an end on 28th Feb. I renewed at £46 and have the contract emailed to me as evidence of this.. but the bill email came through at £139 and then £80 a month going forwards, and the contract has been changed to show a completely different price (£80 a month) without me agreeing to it... which is obviously very wrong and different to what I agreed on the phone.

Once this issue is resolved, will I be subject to an 8.8% increase after just 1 month on my new 18 month contract? This feels a little unfair. Also hoping the original issue with incorrect contract/billing amount is resolved as I can't afford that and it is causing me stress.

olisun
Superfast

Is this some kind of a joke?

I renewed my contract in 4th January 2024 and there was no mention of any price increase during the call.

And in less than 2 months I have now received a letter for a price increase.

How is this even allowed?

climbingdiver
Joining in

Total *****. Price increases during a fixed contract should not be allowed, full stop. And an 8% increase is a total joke

Will be leave when our contract finished.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

bitsandpcs
Fibre optic

When you agree a contract price then that is the price you should pay for the term of the contract! VM is becoming VERY EXPENSIVE especially during a cost of living crisis. 

andrewterran
Joining in

Sick of the price rises for a 3rd rate service. So many issues of late which is a shame as originally was a good if some what over priced service. Would not recommend to my worse enemy and trying to reach anyone is a major endevour once my current contract reaches its end date it will be goodbye and good ridence.

Alby41
Up to speed

Sorry VM it will be farewell and adieu .... to you ... I can get a modern brand new cabling , new equipment , less downtime and cut outs ...FOR A SPEEDIER PACKAGE ....for LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE OF YOURS ..

Been a customer of yours with a love / hate relationship over the years ...but we only watch freeview progs anyway now ... I can stream sports packages if I wish whenever I want them .. last incredulous increase is the reason ...😃 just saying

pasty757
On our wavelength

RIP off Britain strikes again!

Freddo101
Tuning in

Last year in the UK 1 million people gave up their internet connection because they could not afford the price increases. This year with a staggering 8% increase the same will inevitably happen. The really sad thing is corporations such as Virgin Media could not care less that they are driving people away from the internet so long as they continue to wallow in your money.

Every year customers are expected to accept that Virgin Media need the extra money for investment etc. But why should customers accept this when Virgin Media completely disregard the fact that people firstly need to invest their hard earned money in their family, in their mortgage/rent, in food, in clothing, in themselves etc etc? Many people also need to do this on an income that has to stretch further and further.

The internet is supposed to be an essential service in much the same way as gas, electricity and water are essential services. But thanks to the self serving greed of the likes of Virgin Media it is increasingly becoming a luxury for more and more people in the UK.

What Virgin Media do not seem to be taking into consideration is that there is a tipping point when too many customers decide they have had enough of being pushed around by them, and so find their customer base dwindling to the point their business model is no longer sustainable. With each yearly increase that tipping point comes closer and closer.

In the final analysis do not believe the spin Virgin Media spout about their price increases. It is essentially about profit, nothing more. The only time to start worrying that maybe Virgin Media should increase their prices is when you hear that Richard Branson is struggling to maintain his luxury sun drenched private island. Until then you can assume he is still swimming in your money, and even more of it after the 8% price increases.

stevemorgan
Superfast

As others have stated, a fixed term agreement at an agreed price should be just that.

18 months committing to one price and few months down the line you are paying even more.

If you take out a fixed rate mortgage it stays the same for the duration.
Terrible that a service can be manipulated as such.
Same goes for o2 I agreed a £12 a month sim only 12 month deal yet it is going up.

Bad form and bad policies

Bill65
On our wavelength

As others have stated, Virgin Services are becoming unaffordable to many people. I am out of Contract and find the new pricing totally unacceptable. After 25 years going back to NTL I am saying goodbye to Virgin.I expect many more will be doing the same as soon as they are able. 

ccadi
On our wavelength

The straw that broke 😕

mitch84
Fibre optic

I take it we don't get the option to cancel now when these price rises occur?

I re contracted in July last year.

Hiree36
Tuning in

Screenshot_20240315_202946_Samsung Internet.jpg

 putting prices up for me to keep getting this. Its a p@#s take. Need to sort your service out or I'll get in touch with my local ombudsman. I'm living up to my contract by paying. You as a company and service provider are not. 

Hiree36
Tuning in
  • Screenshot_20240316_003048_Samsung Internet.jpg

 still not fixed 4hrs later. I will be terminating my contract. See you in court. 

nofcukgiven
Joining in

each year they make price rises for what they say is to invest in giving us the best service possible yet they offer their broadband deals way cheaper to new customers. i will be calling virgin today and if they don’t lower my bill it’s bye bye from me

raztak1980
Joining in

Virgin Media and fellow service providers must petitions against the government regards RPI or CPI annual fee increases if you are losing customers due to cost of living crisis.