Thanks for that, Mozilla Firefox will work but requires I add the extension language/grammar tool, which uses an encrypted connection but reads the text, so the red line correction is working again.
Microsoft Edge still a problem even after adding Microsoft spell checker, will try a few other extensions.
At first, I though an antivirus update may have caused the issue with a browser security option added which stopped trackers but that was not the case as I switched it off, reset edge browser settings and still no spell checker. I can only assume updating the browsers caused the issue, but I have never before had to add spell check extensions for the spell check to work, perhaps the browser has it built in before but now removed.
Anyway some progress, will test other browsers. I am always nervous of adding unknown extensions as it can provide access by third parties.
Thanks for the help, all spelling/grammar correct on this post now I hope - no red lines.
Microsoft edge spell checker does work but has a short time delay before it works, so if I start typing it works after a short time, so that explains why it was random or perhaps only works after a specific number of words/characters have been typed, but on occasions it has not switched on at all so my definition of random is probably still correct. It could be an connectivity problem as I find the edge logs me out a lot and I have to keep logging back into community page so perhaps better using google chrome, also my computer using a light windows version (cheap under £200 computer) that can have problems with some applications, some will not run at all.
The extension I added Microsoft Editor (spell checker) will not work unless logged into Microsoft but I use a local log in on my computers so that is an issue only solved by having a Microsoft login for the computer selected, perhaps that is why edge does not always work properly and does crash or close by itself sometimes.
Also the edge although updated is different to the edge on my other computer, displays differently as it is not incorporating the chrome properly.
I may consider a Microsoft computer log in, used to use it but had problems with recovery once, would not accept the Microsoft password and had to rebuild windows from backup disc/flash drive, hence why I now use a local login now.
At least I can get it working now mostly, the issue happened after updating browsers and is not connected to the postings page and will use chrome.