Menu
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 1 of 24
Flag for a moderator

spelling checker in posts

anyone else noticed the spell checker is not working, usually wrongly spelled words are underlined in red until I correct them.

example if I spell this word wrong- arangemant,   should be arrangement, the  wrong word is not underlined now.

As my spelling is not always the best, I have to edit my posts several times now, within the edit period.

Has the spell checker been removed on  posts??

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: spelling checker in posts

The spell checker is dependent on the browser you are using.  There isn't a separate spell checker within the forum software.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 3 of 24
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the advice,

Have checked settings in 3 browsers and spell checkers were all switched on in languages in firefox, chrome and edge

no spell checkers were working, however chrome will work if I switch from basic to enhanced and puts a faint grey line under wrong spellings

There has been a change since I updated all my browsers to the latest versions recently, not sure why.

Perhaps I will try resetting the browers, I am using firefox for this post so spellings may be wrong.

A check by another member would be useful to see if they can spell check, I no longer get the red line under wrong spelling.

there is still a problem with my edge and firefox browsers, used a different laptop so not a computer issue, could it be an issue with the post itself.

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

as said, spell checking is done by the browser, not the forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello

All of my browsers are still working Firefox, Waterfox, Chrome etc with the spell checker.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Buffer6
Hero
Message 6 of 24
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Spell checking is working OK here at the moment on messages.

I don't remember where it came from

whether it was from the Forum or I had added it some time on Firefox Browser

Or it's built in to Firefox

The link to it is https://languagetool.org/?pk_campaign=addon2-errorcard-logo 

ALF28
Well-informed
Message 7 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that, Mozilla Firefox will work but requires I add the extension language/grammar tool, which uses an encrypted connection but reads the text, so the red line correction is working again.

Microsoft Edge still a problem  even after adding Microsoft spell checker, will try a few other extensions.

At first, I though an antivirus update may have caused the issue with a browser security option added which stopped trackers but that was not the case as I switched it off, reset edge browser settings and still no spell checker. I can only assume updating the browsers caused the issue, but I have never before had to add spell check extensions for the spell check to work, perhaps the browser has it built in before but now removed.

Anyway some progress, will test other browsers. I am always nervous of adding unknown extensions as it can provide access by third parties.

Thanks for the help, all spelling/grammar correct on this post now I hope - no red lines.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 8 of 24
Flag for a moderator

spell checker now started to work in Microsoft edge, but the Chrome browser spell checker not working although in settings it is switched on.

the spell checking seems to be random when posting, still trying to find out what has changed, always worked fine in the past on all browsers by default.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 9 of 24
Flag for a moderator

chrome spell checker now working suddenly switched on, unusual that it is random and can switch on and off.

0 Kudos
ALF28
Well-informed
Message 10 of 24
Flag for a moderator

Microsoft  edge spell checker does work but has a short time delay before it works,  so if I start typing it works after a short time, so that explains why it was random or perhaps only works after a specific number of words/characters have been typed, but on occasions it has not switched on at all so my definition of random is probably still correct. It could be an connectivity problem as I find the edge logs me out a lot and I have to keep logging back into community page so perhaps better using google chrome, also my computer using a light windows version (cheap under £200 computer) that can have problems with some applications, some will not run at all.

The extension I added Microsoft Editor  (spell checker) will not work unless logged into Microsoft but I use a local log in on my computers so that is an issue only solved by having a Microsoft login for the computer selected, perhaps that is why edge does not always work properly and does crash or close by itself sometimes.

Also the edge although updated  is different to the edge on my other computer, displays differently as it is not incorporating the chrome properly.

I may consider a Microsoft computer log in, used to use it but had problems with recovery once, would not accept the Microsoft password and had to rebuild windows from backup disc/flash drive, hence why I now use a local login now.

At least I can get it working now mostly, the issue happened after updating browsers and is not connected to the postings page and will use chrome.

0 Kudos