cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who owns the pole

Ray21
Joining in

I'm trying to find out who owns pole adjacent to my property to discuss, its not BTs and its adjacent to a communication box used by virgin media?

Equipment on poleEquipment on pole

Nearby BoxNearby Box

17 REPLIES 17

It looks like a Military MLoS system

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

After a bit more research it looks as if it might be a Liberty Global project and a trial for fixed wireless access giving broadband direct to homes. I sent them a message using their online enquiry form, but have received no response so far!! Liberty Global own Virgin Media O2  so if anybody has a contact for their ground works it will be useful to have. Thanks to all who have responded to date.

@Ray21 wrote:

After a bit more research it looks as if it might be a Liberty Global project and a trial for fixed wireless access giving broadband direct to homes. I sent them a message using their online enquiry form, but have received no response so far!! Liberty Global own Virgin Media O2  so if anybody has a contact for their ground works it will be useful to have. Thanks to all who have responded to date.

Libert Global doesn't own Virgin Media02 as it's 50/50 merger between Liberty Global and Telefónica.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All over our town VM have been hooking up to 3s 4G/5G masts as they have a backhaul agreement. This microwave link may be related to that.

phttps://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/05/virgin-media-to-supply-capacity-for-three-uks-new-5g-... 

Or it could be this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/corporate/media-centre/press-releases/virgin-media-trials-wireless-signa... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks info and links useful particularly the media trials.

Definitely looks like a radio antenna, so they would not want plants blocking the line of site. Mounting at the highest level and clear of obstructions, would likely give best performance so may have been reason for choosing location. I think that some utility providers have the right to install their equipment where they want without planning permission, although I may be wrong. They may have given notice and sought consultation by placing a tiny notice in you local paper, or pinned to another pole half a mile away?

I genuinely wish you luck, your moral case is strong but I am not sure about your legal case.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Telegraph poles come under “permitted development” rules. They do not require the usual planning permits unless installed on private land.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/10/openreach-build-fibre-pole-in-private-garden-without-p... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for responses but.....

Look at clause 5 Code of Practice relating to Electronic Communications Code and the Electronic Communications
Code (Conditions and Restrictions) Regulations 2003 and Part 16 of Schedule 2 to the Town and
Country (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (GPDO).

BT/Openreach seem to comply with both clause 5 and 6, so should other operators?