cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM broadband only rates

Andrew3651
Dialled in

Not sure if this is the right board but hey-ho.

I'm being charged £45.50pcm for 100Mbps broadband only, following an 8+% hike. That's a 90% premium on the newbie rate and, frankly a oke in the eye for someone who has been with the network since Nynex days. It also seems out of sync with the wider market given BT are rolling out faster services at pace - I'm just a couple of weeks away with cables going down as I type.

Currently BT offers 28-36Mb for circa £25 (yeah, newbie rate but I don't think BT punishes loyalty?) and it looks like 67+ will be available soon from around £30.

I've already dropped from 150Mb to 100Mb without noticing a thing. So would dropping to 67Mb really hurt? . I'm kind of sick of being treated like something you've trodden in by VM, albeit not by the people on this forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Steer clear of Talktalk - they're now owned by private equity vultures, who will prove that there's nothing that can't be made worse and more cheaply, before flogging the business again to somebody who doesn't know what they're buying.

As for the others, your money, your choice, but this is worth a read.  And whilst you're over at ISP Review, checkout the customer reviews of different ISPs - the site is sufficiently niche to attract well informed user reviews, rather than sites like Trustpilot that are a battle between the uninformed masses and the company in question's marketing efforts to steer a better average review (looking at you here, VM).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I must say I've not really noticed the speed upgrades that occurred over the years since the speed reached 70 Mbps, and I'm on 200 Mbps now, so I suspect you wouldn't notice any appreciable difference between 100 and 67.

Having said that do your research, engage with retentions in the right way (see link for an example below) and you'll probably be able to stick with VM at a decent rate.  I don't enjoy haggling, or indeed any telephone dealings with VM, but it is an evil necessity if you want a good price.  https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/can-you-downgrade-package-without-using-the...

In terms of the implied unfairness of charging loyal customers more, it's hardly unfair since VM actually lose money on new customers with discounted rates.  They offer discounts to acquire new customers because that's the model across the industry.  If they (readily) offered the same pricing to all customers they'd go bust very quickly.  There's that bit of leeway where you can squeeze them when your fixed term ends, and see if there's a mutually agreeable compromise, and if there isn't, then there's other suppliers.  It is worth pointing up that there are ISPs who don't offer massively discounted introductory offers followed by end of contract rises.  Most of these are smaller ISPs who focus on better customer service, such as AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno, Zen Internet.  But the relatively small size of these companies compared to the majors tells you that most people choose up front discounts and respond to heavy marketing, and that although almost everybody will agree "I'd pay more for better quality service", in reality few will. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Andrew3651 wrote:

Not sure if this is the right board but hey-ho.

I'm being charged £45.50pcm for 100Mbps broadband only, following an 8+% hike. That's a 90% premium on the newbie rate and, frankly a oke in the eye for someone who has been with the network since Nynex days. It also seems out of sync with the wider market given BT are rolling out faster services at pace - I'm just a couple of weeks away with cables going down as I type. <snip>

Current prices for VM BB only are here

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only

and £44 p.m is shown for new customers for 100 Mbps. There does not seem to be any introductory discount on BB only and that same price continues after 18 month. VM would prefer to sell you a bundle of services rather than just BB only. So looks like VM have dragged your package price up to in line with the current BB only rate.

As a BB only customer, you are in the best position to shop around, especially if your need-for-speed is not that great. You may well be able to do with less than 100 Mbps if you have only basic needs for web browsing, email, basic streaming etc.

The only way you will get any improvement on your VM pricing is to ring up and request it. Best to do that after you have done some research and have some facts and figures to hand on other deals which are on offer from other suppliers.

Thanks Andrew. That's was my thinking re speeds.

On ricing, it may be the model but it doesn't make it any less unfair or indeed stupid; it promotes churn. Attracting new customers always costs more - regardless of price incentives - than retaining existing does. A 90% premium for existing (ie. otherwise loyal) customers) is, quite frankly offensive. That it's been inflated by an unjustifiable 8.33% hike makes it doubly so. VM pricing is just way out of line with the market, and if they can be way our of line on this, they can step out of line on the new customer discounts practice.

I'm kind of done with VM customer service. It's not the agents fault, but management's. Agents hands are not just tied, but bound. Behind their backs. With cuffs. And I shouldn;t in any case have to fight to be treated decently.

On smaller companies and service, I do pay more for my gas/electric and chose my supplier mainly on quality of service (I had found that Npower and Scottish Power more than gave VM a run for their money in the poor CS stakes). I think i'd draw the line at paying more than £45.50 pcm simply for a broadband connection (I'm out of contract too). I've already taken away overpriced landline and telly. My broadband connection is the last man standing after some 25 years. And as other providers roll out faster services at lower prices and, I hope, better CS, I don't see why  I should show VM any loyalty whatsoever.

Take your point about the likes of Zen. I have had personal recommendations for both Sky and BT which I'm minded to heed. The Openreach lads laying the cables which will likely enable my VM ext were also fond of Talk-Talk whom I know had a reputation lower than a snakes belly under previous ownership but now seem to be some sort of BT budget sub-brand.

Thanks goslow. My response above I think covers he points you raise. As I've said I shouldn't need fight VM to get a decent deal and it's always a nightmare trying to get through (unless of course you're trying Sales where magically your call is answered faster - ironically enough - than Usain Bolt on amphet).

I'm now basically at the stage of which way I should jump for an alternative provider because even if I did get through there's no way VM will give me a deal close to those available elsewhere. They will, as they do, simply wibble on about speed as if this is some kind of justification for the ludicrous pricing.

Steer clear of Talktalk - they're now owned by private equity vultures, who will prove that there's nothing that can't be made worse and more cheaply, before flogging the business again to somebody who doesn't know what they're buying.

As for the others, your money, your choice, but this is worth a read.  And whilst you're over at ISP Review, checkout the customer reviews of different ISPs - the site is sufficiently niche to attract well informed user reviews, rather than sites like Trustpilot that are a battle between the uninformed masses and the company in question's marketing efforts to steer a better average review (looking at you here, VM).

@Andrew3651 wrote:

Thanks goslow. My response above I think covers he points you raise. As I've said I shouldn't need fight VM to get a decent deal and it's always a nightmare trying to get through (unless of course you're trying Sales where magically your call is answered faster - ironically enough - than Usain Bolt on amphet).

I'm now basically at the stage of which way I should jump for an alternative provider because even if I did get through there's no way VM will give me a deal close to those available elsewhere. They will, as they do, simply wibble on about speed as if this is some kind of justification for the ludicrous pricing.

Yep, can't disagree with anything you've said. It's a bit of a daft game but one we are all expected to play. I am in a similar boat and am overpaying for BB and telephone. Have renegotiated packages in the past with VM but not for a long time. Partly laziness on my part and partly avoiding the misery of telephoning VM.

Only thing that has kept me with VM has been the speed but within the last 12 months Openreach have installed fibre connections to the telephone poles in the street and I can now get FTTP. I would say about 6 of the neighbours, in a small cul-de-sac of about 35 houses, have jumped ship and moved from VM to other providers via FTTP.

Thanks again Andrew. Seems like those with the best service ratings are in that there London. So much for levelling up 🙂

Of the majors, Sky actually looks a strong contender.

If I recall correctly Sky were the least complained about major ISP in Ofcom rankings.  But bear in mind that doesn't say much.  My late dad was hounded in his last months by the b******ds at Sky for money he didn't owe, so as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't do business with Sky if they were the last ISP on earth.

Every attempt to engage with Sky was just like dealing with Virgin Media - a crap telephony system, crap offshore call centres, idiot agents who ignored perfectly clear letters.  If all you want is a broadband connection, go with one of these smaller, customer focused outfits where you'll get UK call centres, competent support and service.  And by avoiding Sky there's the additional benefit of not contributing to the wealth of the revolting Murdoch clan.

Hmm. The one benefit of Sky to me is that I have a mate who's an engineer. But again, take your point. I can get Zen here so that's a possibility. Cheers!