cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking Ahead......

garypjackson
On our wavelength

At present I pay my £7.99 a month (no contract) to watch tennis on Amazon Prime.

I hear that they aren't bidding for it after 2023 and that it's likely to go to Sky.

I know it's a way off but contract negotiations take place well in advance, so my question is - 

Is Virgin likely to be able to offer such an add on should Sky get it, and am I being realistic in thinking it will cost considerably more?

Thanks 

Using Virgin to stream live radio @ 160kbps
5 REPLIES 5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @garypjackson 

I would expect the tennis to be part of the normal Sky Sports channels and as such you would need to subscribe to the channels. They wouldn't release an app just for the tennis. 

Amazon Prime is now £8.99 a month for new customers - the annual sub is now £95.

Amazon said the rise in fees, will be implemented as current members’ contracts come up for renewal from 15 September.

If you don't want the free delivery etc then you would be better taking out Prime Video which is only £5.99 a month.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Sky has bid for the ATP and WTA Tours which Amazon has given up but we have to wait to find out what happens. It seems as if Sky has got back the US Open and if Sky does get all the tennis rights it wants there may even be enough for a tennis channel to add to the existing 14 (seven HD and seven SD) which are dedicated to specific sports. The bad news, however, is that you have to subscribe to all the Sky Sports channels and this will cost more than paying Amazon for Prime Video.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It will likely be time to do what I've been doing since many years - negotiate to have the Sky Sports portfolio as part of your package permanently, and get a promotional discount in exchange for that lock-in.

I don't make use of SS every weekend during the year, but sufficient that it's cheaper (and easier) to keep the portfolio on all-year round than add & remove continually.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I might have a look at the Tennis Channel when the time comes as that's in the UK now at £2.49 a month. Anything than be held to ransom by Sky for loads of sports I don't want.  

Thanks for the replies. Interesting stuff

Gary

Using Virgin to stream live radio @ 160kbps

Another option if Sky take on the tennis is to use NOW TV to buy a Sky Sports package for the months that tennis is televised. I do this when Sky has rugby internationals such a the World cup.