Menu
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Take Virgin Media to Court - any stories to share?

This link below may be of interest, but despite what this says, note that you COULD be held liable for VM's costs if the case were deemed frivolous or vexatious.  And my suggestion is that you should still have given VM eight weeks to resolve a formal complaint and then escalated to CISAS.  Only if CISAS don't find in your favour and you still believe you've got a strong case, that's when you issue proceedings - and before that you need to send VM a formal letter before action.

http://www.bowbrick.org.uk/sueprovider/i_sued_my_internet_provider.htm

Hey thanks yet again Andruser, what a great link! I haven't read it all yet but looks hilariously on topic! 🙂  I searched the web for stuff but didn't anything like that! 

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 22 of 27
Flag for a moderator

of course one should take his accounts with a pinch of salt.
his opening line is "what Pater can do for you", he's clearly trying to sell himself as a master economist, and is about making and, apparently, saving money.

I'm sure his account is technically accurate, however i'm sure he has embelished it just a little, and yes he didn't mention you could be liable for costs should the judge not have a grudge against ISPs.

the one thing he didn't mention, and as an economist should know, is that if 500 customers did it and cost them £1,000,000 then it wouldn't be Virgin that would be the losers, it would be the customers still there as the loss would be absorbed by price increases.

"He has an international reputation in the economics of quality, grades and brands as a marketing tool. He is also internationally known in food policy and the economics of famine, where he showed that Amartya Sen's description of the Bengal Famine in Poverty and Famines mistated the facts on 30-40 key facts."

he does have quite an impressive trumpet though!

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

newapollo
Superstar
Message 23 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pemo,

I'm  on your side but ...

Have you followed all the correct avenues of contact each time you had an issue?

As per your original post,

"I have been trying for many weeks to contact Virgin about an area wide complete outage of broadband service and intermittent service over a longer period."

Have you followed VM's procedures for internet problems?

Which method(s) did you use to contact VM?

If phoning have you kept logs of all calls and times, and how long before the call was dropped/or you dropped the call? The same with the text messaging service.  Did you try and contact by email? If so which address?

Stating intermittent, did you have no connection for two days or more at a time? Or was the connection dropping off for a few hours at a time? Or where the speeds slower than expected yet you still had still a working connection? With intermittent service, have you advised them each time you had the issue?

With a complete outage VM  will only pay automatic recompense once it's fixed.  automatic-compensation 

Total loss of broadband or phone service 

Your broadband or fixed phone line aren’t working at all?  Check to see if there’s an outage in your area on our handy service checker. You can report the issue to us by registering it online or alternatively, calling us. If we haven’t fixed the fault within 48 hours from the end of that day, you will be entitled to £8 credit per day until it’s sorted.

Once you’ve reported the issue to us and service has been fully restored, any credit owed will be automatically calculated and applied to your bill – so there’s no need to call us to credit you.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Newapollo,

Thanks for your post, could you clarify a couple of things,

Have you followed all the correct avenues of contact each time you had an issue?

I thought I had tried each and every one, I was as diligent and as thorough as I could under the circumstances (ie no internet). It was an emergency, my whole family depends on it now working from home, they were being forced into unsafe environments and losing time, money and quality of life as a result.

Think about the alternatives. For instance my mobile package normally lasts a month, it lasted two days! to be realistic people need to plan ahead for these important services crucial to their daily lives, VM does not give me that option. For instance, why did not VM contact me when they knew they were having big issues? When the water company is carrying out work in my street and there is even a faint chance of the supply being disrupted, I get a letter through the front door! (this happened just yesterday 🙂 -and my water bill is significantly cheaper than my VM service! (and the water company is in profit).

As you know, customers are now advised not to contact VM by phone. It can take more than 24hrs for a text response. Each text message usually takes minutes for VM to respond to (think about it...). Customers such as myself are being to subjected to hours, days, and even weeks of time consuming work and frustration, just to attempt to contact VM,  It would be great to hear from VM what you are doing about all this? without um, having to do all of the above over and over again to find out. It's not tenable.

Did you try and contact by email? If so which address?

What email address can I use? that would be a step in the right direction!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 25 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Pemo,

VM do contact customers and advise them if they are going to have a planned outage - however if an unplanned local outage/area fault occurs then VM seem to expect the customer to check what's happening by looking at the Service status page, and also run checks on their equipment from there. 

I asked about email contact, as even though you didn't say you had used that method, a lot of customers do. It was just basically to clarify if you had used that method and were expecting a response. With VM having no customer facing email option that often ties in with people feeling more disgruntled when they don't receive a response via that method.

There is an online chat messenger facility, (Message us your issue) on the same page where you probably raised an online complaint. Although this service is not always operational as priority goes to answering telephone calls.  contactus/make-a-complaint 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Pemo
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

You mention an VM online chat messenger facility for reporting issues. Not sure whether it's the same thing, but I've used the SMS text service? Here's an extract:

VM: Hi, I’m Virgin Media’s Virtual Assistant.. . How can I help you?

Me: Are you a robot?

VM: Could you say that again? Maybe slightly differently?

Me: Are you a real person?

VM: Hold on while I connect you to someone who can help you further.
I’ve just transferred your query to the people who can help you.
Due to social distancing there’s less of us in the office
so it may take up to 24hrs to get back to you.
We will respond to you.
Reply ‘yes’ now to continue the transfer.

Don't you think the robot sounds a tad evasive? When you transfer to a real person it doesn't get much better, due to their incredibly limiting scripts. I really feel for them, it must be a really tough job atm. I wonder how many 'calls' they have to juggle at once? - given the delay between each text, I imagine quite a lot. I'm always as pleasant, and human, as I can be, given the format. Not so much to the robots though 😉

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Problem sorter
Message 27 of 27
Flag for a moderator

"It was an emergency, my whole family depends on it now working from home, they were being forced into unsafe environments and losing time, money and quality of life as a result."

As has been pointed out, just remember that a residential service does NOT cover anything related to working from home, only the business packages cover that and there are even options to purchase a 4g backup connection if you have a business package, but yeah, none of the work related stuff will apply to a residential service

As for getting in touch, phone should be your first port of call but yeah all customer service roles will be understaffed due to social distancing so you'll be waiting longer than usual, that being said i can normally get through pretty quickly when i ring, that being said i have the business service instead of the residential one, and no you don't actually need a business to get a business connection with VM, they just don't offer any TV services, which isn't an issue for me