Menu
deans6571
Wise owl
Message 1 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Price Increases - AGAIN......!

Here we go again - every single year without fail........

Virgin announces inflation price rise for millions of UK customers - how it affects you (msn.com)

🙄

Community elder
Message 2 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increases - AGAIN......!

Time to start looking around for another supplier, I think!

The freshly-installed Openreach FTTP option in my road is suddenly looking even more attractive than before.

mart1969
Superfast
Message 3 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I have no probs with Virgin increasing prices when they see fit, thats there prerogative and its up to us to suck it up or walk away. However there must be many households like mine who don't need 350mb download speeds and got along quite happily on 50mb then (free) upgrade to a 100mb with no problems speed wise and this increase will take many of us to the £30+ a month price bracket. Now considering a lot of us got along fine with the 50mb download speeds it's got to make sense switching for example to Vodafone 67mb package for £20 a month? 

To me this is where Virgin get it wrong sure pay a premium for super fast broadband but why not have a 50mb package for £20+ a month, Id be happy with that and possibly stop me and others switching.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Hi @mart1969 

In an ideal world that would be a great price but I'm pretty sure it would be a loss leader.

VM do still have a 50mb tier but it's £38 per month

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only 

The 100mb tier is £28 per month for new customers rising to £44 pm

You can see the current broadband only prices on the link above, and the screenshot below, but they would be a good starting price to use for a retention deal once you receive the price increase email and before the current prices do go up.

I would think the price increases will follow the same lines as last year.

If you accepted a fixed price deal then you’ll receive that until the end of the discount period.  

If you accepted a £ or % amount off, this will also continue to be honoured but you will see your price increase from the 1st March.

So, going forward if you do take out a new deal you will be tied into a new 18 month contract so make sure you get a fixed price deal  to avoid any increases whilst still in contract.

bb only pricesbb only prices

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 5 of 58
Flag for a moderator

All providers increase their prices every year. It is like a broken record on all 3 forums, sky, bt and virgin.

They are businesses there to make money, nothing more. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I believe that the price rise for broadband packages amounts to an average of £3.63 per month, which is surely modest in view of big increases in data usage and rising prices such as electricity.  And yes, VM has to pay higher energy bills like the rest of us.

There is no price rise for vulnerable customers.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
deans6571
Wise owl
Message 7 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I just checked my bill - I'm receiving discounts until Aug'22 so hopefully this price hike wont affect me until then.

🙏🏼

Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 58
Flag for a moderator

The price rise will be effective from 1 March 2021, so you will pay more. However as the average price rise is 4% and as prices were frozen in the second half of 2020 I think we don't have much to complain about especially as substantial upgrades were done to bring the entire UK network to the DOCSIS 3.1 standard.

--
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 58
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @deans6571 

I haven't received any notification yet, but expect to receive it on the 21st when my next bill is produced.

I was in a similair position to yourself last year when the price increase was announced.I received an email saying something along the lines of, because i'm on a fixed price deal until November my increase won't take effect till then. If i'm not happy i have 30 days from email to cancel without any cancellation fees.

EDIT - Just found a screenshot I took for last years price increase, and I expect it to be the same this year. Please note this will be different to those people that aren't on fixed price deal

fixed price increae last yearfixed price increae last year

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I don't work for Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge. Learn more

Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules
Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 58
Flag for a moderator

I just checked the email I received on 3 February 2021, and I expect to get a similar one soon.

"Like many of our customers, you've been enjoying a lower price of £105.25 a month with us. When your contract comes to an end on 20/02/2021, it will then change to £118.00 a month.

We’ll also be making changes to our prices from March and, from then, your bill will go up by £4.50 a month. We’ll be in touch separately with full details."

--
0 Kudos