cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

457 REPLIES 457

Thankfully my actual real life - legal advice - differs from your opinion.

Well virgin you've done it again, the letter you sent on Monday saying you'd be ringing me in the next few days..

I do hope you've not been trying my landline, you switched that off...

In hope, I kept my mobile with me all week, even slept with it under my pillow just incase, it's even been in the shower with me..

I really couldn't wait to talk.

I did think the chances of actually discussing things was a bit to good to be true.. hey ho

Gilly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
" even slept with it under my pillow just incase, it's even been in the shower with me.."

Sad.....

VM have already said they will not deal with you by way of the deadlock letter. Its over

@ModTeam you might need to reply here as this is getting troll like 🙂

Hi Apcyberax

"VM have already said they will not deal with you by way of the deadlock letter. Its over"

virgins last letter to me months ago said they where closing my complaint. I've had nothing since.

if you check the previous page you can see the letter I was sent THIS WEEK, out of the blue..

after closing my complaint and not hearing anything for months that letter arrives THIS Monday... promising to ring me in a few days..

you cant believe how excited I've been all week. finally contact I thought - every time my phone rang,,, was it virgin?..

how disappointing waiting all week for something not to happen.

a few days is less than a week in my book, more than that is a couple of weeks?..

Gilly

@Gillyathome wrote:

Thankfully my actual real life - legal advice - differs from your opinion.

Well virgin you've done it again, the letter you sent on Monday saying you'd be ringing me in the next few days..

I do hope you've not been trying my landline, you switched that off...

In hope, I kept my mobile with me all week, even slept with it under my pillow just incase, it's even been in the shower with me..

I really couldn't wait to talk.

I did think the chances of actually discussing things was a bit to good to be true.. hey ho

Gilly.

Like i've already said, a lawyer will still take a lost case because they still get paid for their work by you, so never assume that a lawyer agreeing means you actually have a case, like i said, prepare for disappointment 🙂

'a lawyer will still take a lost case because they still get paid for their work'

yep. i've seen a few odd ones in my time. i worked with a former lawyer when i was heading a government complaints team. she said she had accepted all kinds of cases knowing they were doomed to fail. i did question the morals but was told they are 'generally' obliged to take cases.

if i wanted to take my neighbours wife to court for having an offensive face, logically i could. i would lose but it is anyone's right to complain about anything...mostly.

as for this case. i've followed it throughout. i don't think the op will win. virgin are not responsible. the ombudsman appear to have unusually passed the buck. that tells me something.

going to court needs much more evidence than the ombudsman would require. a lawyer who is an expert in this field is the best shot. they though will be expensive. if the op loses they will be stungs for thousands and the case will go on for some time, longer than this thread. if the op wins it would set a precedent and rewrite contracts for not just virgin but change the way the whole insurance industry works in the uk.

to be honest i don't understand why this has gone on for so long. it quite clearly states in the legally binding terms and conditions that -. customers are responsible for insuring equipment and virgin will not be liable for any loss of or damage to any additional equipment unless it is their fault, which i do not see as having been proved in the slightest.

i note several pages back from the op, the comment 'my legal advisors have been waiting and waiting'. what are they waiting for. if they were my legal advisors i would be getting rid of them. with all the 'evidence' on here now, why aren't they actively involved rather than sitting there 'waiting'......i've hired a couple of lawyers in the past. they wanted my evidence from the start, they then got on with it occasionally giving updates/asking for more info.

i agree with you 'prepare for disappointment'.

Hi James

Thanks for your input..

I’m so sorry to hear about your neighbors boat race.. life must be terrible for ya Smiley Very Happy

Just to be clear, I haven’t paid for legal advice.

The CAB are a free public service, they have been acting for me. I’m very happy using this service.

I stated a claim with them months ago, put everything on hold, awaiting my GDPR data.

I Keep in touch by email and this forum.

I haven’t been ripped off by any shyster lawyer yet….

Obviously I can’t go into the details here, as to what advice I’ve been given.

I’m keeping my powder dry until it’s needed.

I have plenty of evidence though.

Being sent to a non-arbitrating arbitrator was a first for me.

When I called cisas for an explanation of my cases being rejected…

the cisas chap said.. I’m totally bemused as to why virgin have referred you to us.

We don’t deal with any type of property damage, virgin should already know that.

Wasn’t buck passing by cisas at all – just incompetence at virgin.

I should have been sent a claim pack rather than being sent to cisas I was later advised by the CEO

Phone call I received.

Then the “mythical” claim pack never arrived.

The length of the delay – I requested my info from virgin via a GDPR SAR back in July.

To this date I’ve still not had everything I’m entitled to have.

I’ve had to ask again and again, falling of deaf ears I’ve asked the ICO to re-look at my case

Unfortunately the ICO have a long backlog of cases, it took them ages to act. 6-8 week backlog.

asking them to provide everything, not just some things.

I’ve had to submit more proof to the ICO that calls & reports have been withheld from me.

The ICO senior manager case review takes 28 days…The end date of the review is this Friday the 8th feb.

Once I have all my evidence for the CAB , action will start. We wont be delaying now.

I see no point starting proceedings without all my evidence.

Terms & conditions – they could ask you in the T&C’s to wear pink fluffy knickers with a pot plant

On your head before watching your TV, does it make that legal… NAH !

Gilly.

Anonymous
Not applicable
"Terms & conditions – they could ask you in the T&C’s to wear pink fluffy knickers with a pot plant

On your head before watching your TV, does it make that legal… NAH !"

if you sign a contract to do it then yes. they would have a case against you if you didn't

Let's get this straight. you are saying a lightening strike fried your V6 box and TV through the coax cable.

You also say the street cabinet "blew up", which cab was it? There are 4 street cabinets on the road where the house was hit by lightening, so it is almost certain that you are not connected to the same one.

As a "electronics wizz" you should know the destructive properties  of electricity, so what will happen if you pass 30ka through a 2mm copper conductor? (about the same diameter found in a 30amp fuse)
Will it navigate through VM's networks ignoring many many connected devices to find and blow up your V6 box and TV, or will it simply vaporise?
And yet the VM said the coax was ok when he checked it??  mmmmm. I have seen a jack hammer go through a 440v cable, about 1/3rd of the steel chisel just vaporised.

As said many times, VM isolators are designed to remove residual current injected into the system to amplify the carrier signal and no match for a lightening strike. Isolators claim to protect from hazardous voltages, nothing about fatal voltages.
The same applies with anti surge sockets, no match for a lightening strike (or a hefty UPS for that matter) 30amp v 30000amp  mmmm

From the news article you posted the area was without electricity for 5 hours, so it either blew the electric cable or a grid fuse. Amusingly enough the article said the broadband was also down, a bit of a challenge to get broadband without electricity Smiley Happy

You say your computer "blew up" even though the Hub was ok, (albeit not working correctly) mmmmm, funny how selective lightening can be.
Yet, with the V6 blowing up with the brightness of the sun and a loud bang, yet the mammoth voltage didn't make it into your electrical mains, blowing all your fuses.

I am not sure why you are still posting on here expecting VM to do something, as TBH your claims are technically laughable as 1) the coax cable is not capable of carrying such a high voltages  and 2) every device connected to the local circuit ('000s of devices) would have been affected as well. The looks more like "electronic wizardry" than a lightening strike

No point arguing over technicalities and T&Cs on here if you are going to do something you need to contact some legal representation, I am sure there are plenty of lawyers out there willing to take your money.

Hi Griffin

Let me correct a few things you’ve mentioned.

Virgin’s managers came to visit my flat, network manager accompanied by the

Customer services manager.

It was the network manager who explained to me that he was responsible for everything

Up to the street cabinet. From the cabinet to peoples house was the customer services

Manager responsibility.

It was talking with the network manager, he explained to me that the equipment in the

Street cabinet was all blown up that night.

I noticed virgin engineers where working in the cab the follow day.

Have a search on say… amazon for isolators – check the spec’s

That’s the only thing protecting customers.. I would have brought anything else I needed

to protect myself. Like my UPS and surge protectors… all bypassed by a single coax cable.

It was the London Fire bridge that cut a 2mt square hole and quite deep, in the front garden at the house that was on fire

They needed to access to street power cables… the cables where then cut by UK Power Network’s

to make the street safe.

I don’t live in the same street, so I didn’t lose any power at all.

we did shared the same virgin cabinet.

If you check the photos ive already posted you’ll see the route of the surge..

I had a splitter on the coax. One going to the V6 box the other to the Modem.

The surge took a liking to the V6 box, not modem..

It is funny how it only selected one of the 2 virgin boxes to explode.

The surge went round the HDMI devices, not the power.

The V6 took the worst of it,, TV just died and smelt of fish, PC went crazy.

Gilly.

Perhaps the OP can explain how the PC was damaged by a surge along a coaxial cable which took out the V6 and TV (explainable as they are connected by an HDMI cable).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection