cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightning- everything blown up - virgin washes their hands

Gillyathome
Up to speed

Can anybody help me with a contact number / email address for the zero harm division ?

the chief exec's office is blaming "god" for lightning blowing up my TV and Computer...

does "god" only pick on 12 virgin customers at the same time ?

I've never had such a poor experience from any customer care team. been bounced

from head office to cisas, pointless waste of time.... they can't help.

457 REPLIES 457

Virgin emailed today, they couldn't get me on my mobile.

to "advise we have now complied with your request." (GDPR)

I've emailed back saying, I think there is information missing, i'm more than happy to ask the ICO for it if I need to.

Gilly.

Virgins chief exec team, emailed me back today with...

"We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy and we will endeavour to resolve your issues as soon as possible."

"*** is currently not available to deal with your complaint personally, however we have passed your email onto a member of his team, and they will be in touch with you as soon as possible in order to assist you with your queries"

didnt call today.

Gilly.

Well this week has been yet another disappointment.

I've made sure my phone was with me 24x7 all week and fully charged...i'd give Virgin until Friday to contact me i'm thinking. that's fair.

4 days later,,,, Nothing !!!

not a missed call or email.

how bad can this get.

I've written back to virgin this afternoon saying..i'd been waiting all week. Nobody has contacted me.

i'll be writing again to the ICO over the weekend to update them on the status of things.

Gilly.

I'm fully aware that Richard Branson, is a minor share holder in Virgin Media.

Virgin still use his pictures in the advertising, unless it's a very convincing stunt double.

I've asked for the following email to be forwarded to him, via virgin.

I think he should know whats happening to his "BRAND"...

I wonder if he will ever get this email....

my emails not as funny as airplane bloke...

http://www.dearcustomerrelations.com/best-ever-complaint-letters/virgin-atlantic-in-flight-food/

then again he was only on the plane for a few hours... and not suffered months of misery like myself.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Richard.

I hope ur fine and funky…

I wish I could say the same.

Ive been connected to NTL/Virgin for 15 years and loved every minute of it…I’ve never had a bad word to say about virgin in all those years.

Until the 28th may 2018, what a night. Thunder and lightning across London.

1am BANG !!!!!!!

Big flash of lightning outside and a massive bang.

The V6 box that’s normally under my desk by my feet exploded simultaneously in a lightning ball with a massive bang, that left my ears ringing.

I contacted Virgin customer support the following day and had a really great chat with an Operative.. such a nice guy he was.. he made me feel much more reassured.

He took all the details of the damaged, TV & Computer that was connected to the V6 also exploded. He offered to make things right again for me.

Since then I’ve had denials of this conversation, letters back and forth to the chief exec team, they issued a deadlock letter, then referred me to CISAS in error.

Offered a virgin claim pack, that was never sent…

This has been chugging away for nearly four months now Richard… I’ve not seen the TV all summer.

Do you know who won the world cup and tennis please ?

I’ve asked all my voice recordings under a GDPR request, it’s still being withheld.

Tom’s team was going to get back to me, I’ve waited all week for a call back.. nada

I’m contacting the ICO at this point to jolly them up.

I have tried and tried and tried to get help from anybody at Virgin… it seems they no longer care when you’re not around anymore…

My connection hasn’t been fixed since the lightning.. even after many visits from engineers…The support now is sorry to say “rubbish”

I had no other option left other than to cancel my contract…

15yrs rich,,, I’ve not had a girlfriend that’s lasted that long.. but things are now so bad, your India call centres even refuse to send out engineers anymore… my contact now expires in about a week…

As you can see from the link to the Virgin Forums even the Zero Harm team didn’t help me at all… Kath was less then helpful.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Lightning-everything-blown-up-virgin-washes-their-...

I thought I’d do the decent thing after 15yrs and say goodbye before I’m cut off, Richard.

Bye for now

Gilly

Anonymous
Not applicable

giphy.gif

Well it looks like the virgin email system is about as good as the broadband...… crap.

i'm sure if Richard B had read my email plea for help... he wouldn't have left me in a boat without any paddles.

He'll never know that I've been dissconected ,, i'm a little worried about that... I always say goodbye for I leave.

Due to the lack of any response from anybody at all, I've updated the ICO tonight

They can talk to virgin instead.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello again.

To keep you up to date with my progress with my GDPR request with virgin media.

They failed to send me everything I asked for. Even after being late - sending what they did.

I have replied to them, that information is missing, and would you please send it.

Virgin replied last Tuesday the 11th September, saying somebody would be in contact with me.

I waited until Friday the 14th September to remind them, I’m waiting..

Since then nothing….today is the 17th September, I logged my GDPR request on the 25th of July.

Would you mind having a talk with them for me please , they have become rather adept at ignoring me.

Many Thanks indeed.

Gilly

OH BOY

survey email ...

Sorry to hear that things haven't run smoothly recently, thanks for getting in touch. We're always sorry to hear when things don't run exactly as you'd hoped, and we hope that things are now sorted. At Virgin Media, we want to give you the best customer service we can, so we'd really like to find out how things went for you so we can make improvements wherever we can.

sorted ?

I do like to give feedback when I think it's appropriate, this being one of them.

3.JPG2.JPG1.JPG 

Gilly

This is not going to be a popular post, but it is important that people reading this thread understand that it is impractical to fully protect against lightning with a few simple components. To stand any chance it would need much bigger components at the input and multi layer protection throughout the equipment, which would be far more expensive than a new TV and PC etc.

The energy involved in a lightning strike is huge (hundred of amps and many thousands of volts) and even a brand new Virgin isolator (and typical power strip surge protectors) cannot protect anything unlucky enough to be in the discharge paths, which can be widespread. Lightning can quite literally just blow them away. They are only intended to protect against the relatively low power spikes that can occur on normal activities mains supplies etc. The old idea of disconnecting electrical equipment in a storm is effective but impractical in today's world. For most households the best protection is good insurance, which also give cover in case of fire caused by burnt out equipment.

Before embarking on potentially expensive litigation it would be advisable to get the opinion of an expert in the field rather than someone with knowledge of general electrical/electronics engineering. Although unfortunately such advice may also be expensive and may not give the desired answer.

What the legal position is regarding rash unothorised offers made by a first line call center representative, I have no idea but I suspect that it would be the only basis of a claim.

A final bit of advice is to never use a wired in telephone in a storm. There are documented cases of people suffering burns, even though all lines have lightening protectors.

I agree with you and made the same point in my earlier post 24

I saw that and gave it kudos but it appears some people will not accept reality and think simple devices can protect against the anything nature can throw at it. I also remember that fax machines (remember those) used to have an explicit warning that they were not guaranteed against lightning damage even when connected to a line with a lightning "protector".