Menu
j5000
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Current downgrade plan prices

I have M200 BB only but I can't seem to see the price anywhere to downgrade an existing plan to either M100 or M50. Does anyone know the current prices for existing customers to downgrade (without having to phone up first)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Current downgrade plan prices

you should be able to see all the current advertised prices for eack package on the website - https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/compare
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

afaik prices on the website are for new customers - you need to ring to see what they will offer for downgrading

be aware any change to your package will start a new contract

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if you log in you should see the prices applicable to you
0 Kudos
j5000
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I can only see prices for new customers online, even after I log in.It gives me bundle options which I don't want, and my BB is already 1 tier from top. Unless the prices are the same for everyone (I assume after set up fee as this surely wouldn't apply to an existing customer?). I figured this kind of info they would rather not be advertised. After another letter informing me of a price hike, paying £55pm is my limit. As long as I can still browse, and stream Netflix (with the occasional 4k film) M50 is probably more than adequate for 1 user.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

if all you want is a package of around 50Mbps then you may find you can get cheaper options with other openreach based ISPs.

they will offer 40/10 and 80/20 FTTC packages at much less than £55pm.

0 Kudos
j5000
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I will ring and see what the monthly fee will be to downgrade and if it is around £40 I will more than likely stay with Virgin. I have looked at Openreach as an option before and it seemed like a lot of hassle and initial cost outlay (router/installation/activation fee etc) for a minimal monthly saving (after line rental) assuming M50 is around £40.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

£40pm for M50 is extremely poor value IMO.
0 Kudos
j5000
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree 100%, but I'm just assuming (more hoping, really) that it will be no more than £40, if M50 is £37 for new customers after set up fee+September price hike. I believe VM know they have people over a barrel when it comes to migrating to other ISP and probably rely on customer laziness/reluctance to deal with the hassle to maintain customer retention. I'm also hoping that a simple service plan downgrade will be less of a headache and won't result in constant phonecalls, compared to cancelling service outright. We shall see .

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

ironically you may find you get a cheaper price if you ADD to your package.
"bundling" is where the discounts are. getting internet standalone is more expensive that if you add a landline, for example.