cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched from 500mbps contract to 1 Gigabit contract - speeds lower/the same

Meck
Joining in

Hello, I recently switched to a Volt 1Gig plan from previously having a 500mb plan, installed the router today maybe 6hours ago and I know it usually says give it a couple hours for the speeds to settle but I am currently getting speeds of 250mbps on the new 1Gig Wi-Fi. Pretty similar to my previous router to be honest, routers were changed also from a hub 4 to hub 5, I have even tried using a better tp-link router which I would use for gaming, but the speeds are even worse on that. It hit 450mbps max when I first installed it, since then its decreased. A lot less than the promised 500mbps minimum speeds.

Could I get someone to look into this, I have used an ethernet connection also which should be double the speed, yet its 250mbps still.

5 REPLIES 5

Client62
Legend

"250mbps on the new 1Gig Wi-Fi. Pretty similar to my previous router"

As the device doing the speed test was already known to be limited to 250mb/s,
moving from M500 to Gig 1 would not be expected to bring an improvement.

Assuming the Hub5 is in Router mode have a go at this speed test,
it will show the service speed to the VM Hub5 and then the speed the devices achieves.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

No device is "known" to be limited to 250mbps, that wasn't stated at first, I have seen the download speed be 450mbps, not only 250mbps, I said the speed fluctuates between values and is now staying at 270mbps with only 1 connection. This should be 500mbps minimum as my device can support as much as 500mbps as it is Gigabit ready.

On your test the download speed is showing 1126mbps and 265 upload speed, while using a normal test from the router to my pc, using an ethernet cable also may i add, I am receiving 277mbps download speed and 25 upload speed, which makes 0 sense as I have seen it hit 450mbps, with a minimum guaranteed speed of 512mbps or close to that. The ethernet being used works with Gigabit, my pc is also Gigabit ready as it is all high end specs. Even when testing the speed on my phone it gave me 450mbps compared to the 270mbps currently. So I believe there is something wrong somewhere.

From Realspeed the Downstream speed to the Hub is 1126mbps and the Downstream speed the computer achieved was 265 Mb/s over a network cable.

The data rate available at the Hub far exceeds what the computer is consuming. Typically the speed loss is because the computer is bogged down with bloated antivirus / firewall / safe browsing tools and like.

Need to be convinced ?  Boot the computer in Safe Mode + Networking and run the speed tests again. The improvement can be quite stunning.

Untrue on this occasion, fixed the issue myself by swapping out VM's awful router and making some changes in the settings of it, now I'm getting 900mbps without issues.