cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Volt/1Gb BBand Can I Upgrade to the SH5?

FlashPan
Fibre optic

Hello all,

Maybe good to ask "should I?"

Just wondering if I can upgade my SH4 to the SH5? 

I also have a wifi pod, would that need to be replaced or can that be paired to the SH5? 

When I was on the on SH3 with a pod I had to get a new pod for the SH4 and VM thought I had 2 for a while before I got a mod here to sort that.

I've read that if you make a change to your package you can get the SH5 but not much I can change to or want to.

One reason am enquiring about the upgrade is that I never got close to 1Gb speeds.  I know all about drivers and cable quality etc.  Via samknows realspeed I always seem to hover around - Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4 : 1152 Mbps - Speed to computer 600-700 Mbps.  I know this is within the speed guarantee from VM and having tried many different devices, cabling and drivers I never improve on this.

Thanks and cheers

6 REPLIES 6

Reece_MH
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @FlashPan,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Community Forums.

Unfortunately, we currently don't offer the ability to upgrade existing equipment to the Hub 5. We would only be able to provide a Hub 5 in the instance of a new customer, or a customer upgrading their speeds to the 1GB service.

When the offer to upgrade your equipment is available, we'll reach out via a contact channel such as email, phone or text.

In regard to your speeds, are you running these tests via Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Are you able to try a cabled test on a different device? I've ran tests on our end, and there don't seem to be any problems identified that could cause slower-than-expected speeds.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Hello, thanks for your response.

I only run tests via cat 6 cabling, different cables and different devices, connected directly to the SH4.

Thanks

If you ring or chat with Virgin they may offer you the Hub 5 for a one off cost of £35. That's how i got mine. I was on the Hub 4.

Thank you for your response @FlashPan.

I have had a look at this for you and I can see there may be some hub issues affecting your service. To resolve this we would have to book an engineer visit. Please look out for the purple envelope and provide a response when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

No problem at all @FlashPan.

Please let me know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Akua,

All done, am now getting 900+mb/s speeds.

Great engineer, we had a good chat etc. He noticed some erorrs and fiddled with the cabling, reterminated some stuff etc.

Thanks to you again for soring this. Most appreciated.