cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 raising my price but nothing from Virgin

Koolmacher
Dialled in

I've had a text informing me my O2 Volt bundle sim is rising from £25 to £30 per month but as of today nothing from Virgin regarding price rises with the rest of the Volt bundle which I renewed last August. Surely if the they raise the price of the sim then the whole package goes up as well? 

14 REPLIES 14

unisoft
Well-informed

@Koolmacher wrote:

I've had a text informing me my O2 Volt bundle sim is rising from £25 to £30 per month but as of today nothing from Virgin regarding price rises with the rest of the Volt bundle which I renewed last August. Surely if the they raise the price of the sim then the whole package goes up as well? 

Technically, two different contracts. VM are still in process of ending out staggered price increase letters which contain a notification that from April 2024, price increases will be calculated at RPI published in the February, PLUS and additional 3.9% as well and the fact that if you are still in contract you will not be able to exit without penalty (like you can currently do this year).

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Almost certainly - almost all VM deals are fixed discount, rather than fixed price, so with any deal from last year you would expect a price rise notifications.  But the notifications are being staged, so yours may not yet have been sent.  And for a few customers it may be lost in the post or via failed email, or contact details may be incorrect.  If you're one of the very, very few on a fixed VM price contract then you won't be liable for the increase.

Due to different T&Cs, in response to the O2 increase you probably don't have opportunity to renegotiate or cancel, but in response to any VM notification you will - and if you bought the services as a single bundle (rather than adding Volt benefits by taking out an O2 contract), then I'm pretty sure the VM cancellation rights include the O2 deal under UK consumer rights law.  Although if you wanted to do that you might need to get heavy with O2 and maybe even engage Ombudsman Services to force their hand, as the left buttock doesn't know what the right buttock is doing when it comes to VMO2.

If you do cancel, VM will soon be on your case to offer you increasingly heavily discounted deals during your notice period, eventually getting around new customer deal pricing.  Just be aware that this time next year you won't have the option of renegotiating, and if you're on a heavily discounted package you'll see up to double the announced price increase.

Yes when I renewed it was a complete volt bundle with O2 sim as part of it, I was previously on Virgin mobile with the old ultimate oomph deal. Obviously I will be cancelling all services with virgin once they send me my price rise email I'm not paying an extra £30 a month for the same service! 

Hi @Koolmacher, thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. 👋🏼

You will receive a personalised communication that will detail the specific change to your monthly charge. Price increases will vary as it will be specific to the service(s) you have.
Customers will only receive one price change in 2023 for their cable services. As we have done in previous years, we are phasing our price rise across two months which ensures we can best serve customers during this period.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I am now being told by O2 that because I want to cancel during contract I have to pay £270 early termination charge Like I was from Virgin initially! I have told them this is illegal and I have a right to cancel due to virgin raising my price mid contract. I'm now being transferred to a different department as the first one can't handle my request after dialing 202 from my handset. Yet again the customer service levels are terrible and trying to get anything resolved with virgin media is painful, I will be glad when got rid!

My email says quite clearly: “If you're not happy with any of the changes announced in this email, including those to our out of home WiFi hotspots and pricing terms and conditions, you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 23rd March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees.”

@Koolmacher wrote:

I am now being told by O2 that because I want to cancel during contract I have to pay £270 early termination charge Like I was from Virgin initially! I have told them this is illegal and I have a right to cancel due to virgin raising my price mid contract. I'm now being transferred to a different department as the first one can't handle my request after dialing 202 from my handset. Yet again the customer service levels are terrible and trying to get anything resolved with virgin media is painful, I will be glad when got rid!

The VM forum staff have said on other posts that if the SIM was ordered by a VM process as part of a VOLT bundle deal then customers would be allowed to exit penalty free. If the SIM was obtained by a customer outside of this *OR* the customer had upgraded the SIM to another O2 tariff then the exit doesn't apply.

I don't understand why both O2 and VM CS teams are not briefed on this and an online internal WIKI doesn't detail the rules.

Still trying to get this volt o2 sim cancelled been on the phone now over 2 hours getting put on hold then passed to a different departments then being told of early termination charges of £270 when I explain this sim was sold to me by Virgin and they are increasing my price mid contract so there are no charges o2 seem confused. This is soul destroying!

They are now telling me that I can cancel but I need to call back in 14 days to get the early termination charge canceled this doesn't sound right this lot are a right bunch of cowboys.