cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-sold O2 SIM with OOOmph upgrade

MattFord04
Joining in

Good evening all.  Does anyone have any experience of rectifying a mis-sold O2 sim card.  My OOmph contract was up in Jan 2022, I rang Virgin and they offered me the same deal again, but called Volt.  I was informed clearly on the phone that the ONLY change was the SIM data was with O2 and no longer unlimited, by 250GB, the price would remain the same at £89.00

To my surprise, I have now been signed up to a £27.00/month O2 sim.

The virgin Whatsapp team are pretty unhelpful, and I am requesting a recording of my phone call with virgin.  There is some dishonest practice at work and reading some of the comments, I dont seem to be the only person to have suffered from this horrid practice. I'm now stuck in the middle with "you need to contact O2 about this" and waiting for 2 hours on hold to the virgin customer services team.  

Does anyone have any guidance or suggestions for this?

Kind regards

Matt

72 REPLIES 72

Smoggie1
Tuning in

Following on from my post earlier I called O2 on 0344 809 0202 chose the option “thinking of leaving us” and was connected to a real person in less than a minute. As I started to explain that I’d received a SIM card and a bill he asked “was i with VM Volt”. So I think they’re getting annoyed people in the same position as us contacting them about this. He, Dave, was very helpful and said “no problem, he can resolve this for me”. Brilliant, stress levels down now, I hate being had-over by big companies.

Same thing happened to me when speaking to a tech adviser and he told that I could have an O2 sim after the problems I was having. I was told that it would cost me an extra £6 a month and not £25. We are being misold products and I think it is time ofcom were informed about the issue

Nothing lasts forever....

That's a load of rubbish considering that they are sold by your technical staff

O2 wants to charge me over £400 to leave.... I do hope that people are reading this board

evaporator
Dialled in

I feel I was pushed into taking a O2 contract to get a cheaper deal on my tv and broadband when my oomph package expired. Previously I had 15gb data which rolled over. Now I get 10. And it doesn’t roll over. The service on o2 is not as good as virgin was and I’m always having connection problems. I feel totally ripped off. Is there a way of going back to virgin and cancelling O2. ? I did send a complaint email and this is the reply.

Hello 

We have a little update on your complaint with us. We didn’t want to delay things, so we’ve gone ahead and looked into a resolution for you.

Here’s a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Cable > My Contract/Package > My package isn't as described 

We’ve looked into it and here’s what we found:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us Douglas. I realize that from your complaint how much you are affected and unsatisfied with the O2 sim that came along with the broadband package.

We would like to apologize indeed that we made you accept the other mobile service provider while you were happy with Virgin mobile service, however, our goal is to get better contract for our customers.

As per the market scenario, the existing customers of any telecom company do not get better contract since the discount expires after first contract, we would like to make sure that our customer should get better discounts and we would like to make sure that our customers not financially burdened while renewing the contract.

That is why, we recommend our customers to take O2 sim, when our customers takes O2 sim along with the broadband contract, it completely becomes a new contract and our customers become eligible for good discounts. We would like to inform you here that we want you to get discount on your account and that would be the only reason why we have asked you to take the package with the O2 sim.

We really look forward to keep you as a happy customer and serve you well. You can renegotiate your contract by getting your package tailored as per your requirement for the best offers available for you by contacting our care team at below mentioned number.

You can also visit our website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-changingyour-services.

Just to keep you posted, you can check your bill amounts, see upcoming charges, make card payments or view your next Direct Debit due date, and even download or print current and previous bills from the last 12 months using MY VM app.

For further help and support, you may head over to https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments.

You can also use our webchat service with this link https://www.virginmedia.com/help/live-chat. If you need anymore help in the meantime, please take a look at our help and support site at virginmedia.com/help.

We appreciate the time and patience you have invested in writing to us. Please be assured that I will update clear notes on file so that the team will be able to assist you further.
Take care and stay safe! 

Here’s what we offer as resolution:
Package > Package change

We hope this works for you.

We’ll keep your complaint open for 28 days from now just in case you still want to talk through your options. Please ring us on 0345 454 1111* if you’re not completely happy with the resolution.

If we don’t hear back after 28 days, we’ll assume you’re satisfied with everything and close your complaint.

Stay on top of your services

To make the most of your time with us, make sure you’ve downloaded the My Virgin Media app. With it, you can manage your bills with a tap and a swipe, check the service status in your area, find out when we expect any known problems will be fixed, diagnose issues with your in-home equipment, and loads more.

Take care,

The Virgin Media team

*For details on how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary. 

The way how the engineer explained it to me, I would not be paying that much more. It was about £8 a week so he said by what I actually heard. Sorry to say this, but we need clearer call handlers that we can actually understand.

@evaporator - I posted a complaint directly to O2 recently as I noticed that in some areas I frequent the O2 signal was noticeable worse than Virgin/Vodafone (and before that Virgin/EE).

I was called by a very very honest O2 CS peson who had checked the area I was having difficulties and freely admitted their (O2) infrastructure had issues which would be addressed (but not in the immediate future). She gave me 2 months rental (which to be honest I wasnt trying to get) plus switched on wifi calling plus, and maybe applicable to you, gave me the option to terminate my contract without penalty. Didnt opt for that (yet) but they said it will stay on my account if I want to do it. 

Ok thanks archercj. I think I will try to get this option with them. Do you know if I upgrade to 12gb data with O2, do virgin match this with another 12gb giving me 24? It seems that I’m paying £10 for 5gb from vm and 5 from o2 at the moment. O2 is saying £12 for 12gb at the moment.

I poste dthe same question the other day about etting double data as a Volt 'benefit'. Didnt get a reponse

Hi @boogiemoog

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

i am sorry for any confusion that has been caused by the cost of the O2 SIM card.

I would be happy to send you a private message so I can look into this further for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide