cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does an engineer come to do 1 Gig upgrade

Rockhoppers
Tuning in

Getting a new V4 hub tomorrow as part of the Volt 1 Gig upgrade.

VM have sent me a text saying Yodle will delivery tomorrow (25th) but the VM service agent said an engineer would come with it on the 25th !

So does and engieer come and fit it, or do i just follow the instuctions here for replaceing / upgrading a hub ?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/set-up-broadband

Andrew

6 REPLIES 6

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for your post and it's great to hear you're upgrading to our 1GB service. 

If a hub has been sent out in the post then it's unlikely you need an engineer to fit this. You should be able to do this following the instructions that come with the Hub. 

If you have any further issues, come back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F, yes i put the hub in myself and it was fairly straightforward.

However my internet speed is still bouncing about 600 Mb and infact sometimes a lot lower than it was before i put the new router in.

Even getting some monatory outages, which we did not get before, not sure the upgrade was a good idea.

Checked speed at many different times of day, even just past midnight last night and it just scrapped 640 mb.

Yes all the connections are tight and there have been no other changes to the system.

Not getting the speed advertised.

Andrew

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Andrew,

Are these wireless or wired speeds?

It sounds about right when measuring wifi speeds (depending upon the device)

What speed do you get to the hub and to the computer (wired directly to a PC) using https://samknows.com/realspeed/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Dave, these are hard wired speeds.

Router to Gigabit Switch to Desktop. Was comfortabley above 600Mb 90% of the time before the "upgrade" and even when not, did not drop below 500Mb

Wifi speeds are around 350 to 400Mb.

Speeds measured using Samknows.

In general i would say i am not seeing any increase in speed, infact a decrese !

Andrew

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again Andrew,

What is the actual speed to the hub showing when using https://samknows.com/realspeed/  ?

It's possible that the speed upgrade hasn't been pushed through yet.

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of a browser, then click on Check router status (no need to log in)

On the screen that opens click on the Configuration tab, and post back the Max Traffic Rate in the Primary Downstream Service Flow as shown by the xxxx's in the screen shot below. This will confirm the speed you are on, as it's possible VM haven't pushed the config file  through

check speedcheck speed

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I will check this tonight when i get home and confirm.

Andrew