cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation ! - cable exposed and installation issues

scottyb1
Tuning in

Sorry to be here again but you lot more helpful than ringing up virgin. I have just received my first bill and despite my phone line which is flagged as a lifeline not working for a week after it should of done despite the cable from Virgin connection point to my house sticking out of ground in several places requiring me to bury it properly rather than have Virgin's contractors back god forbid and finally not being able to access our account for over a week because someone had cocked that up also I have been compensated a grand total of £8.40 ! I consider this insulting the amount of phone calls and time wasted alone would warrant more than this I have I believe a complaint registered for the so called cable installation but have yet to hear back unsurprisingly but £8.40 is an absolute disgrace !

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM's company policy on compensation is amongst the most miserly I've ever seen, Forum staff may be able to help, but don't be too surprised if they aren't able to. 

If you've had a "resolution" letter or email in response to your complaint, you can reject it and ask for a deadlock letter.  With the deadlock letter you can then ask the industry complaints adjudicator to assess your complaint and request for compensation.  They also have a guide to the sort of numbers they would consider appropriate if compensation is a reasonable remedy.  Whilst that guide doesn't say so, CISAS also apply the concept of aggravating and mitigating factors, which as a general rule increase or decrease any compensation.  So aggravating factors would be if this applied to vulnerable customers (sounds like it does), if VM staff were rude, if you were subject to undue wait times, broken call back promises or the like.  Mitigating factors are where the company has a reasonable defence (eg some third party drilling through a VM cable is a mitigating factor in a fault occurring, not in the repair time), or where the customer has made things worse, eg by rudeness to VM staff.

The cost of adjudication is always met by the company, it's several hundred quid, so they'd be daft not to reopen this matter, and try and reach an agreeable outcome, as their chances of winning a reasonable complaint to CISAS are very small indeed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM's company policy on compensation is amongst the most miserly I've ever seen, Forum staff may be able to help, but don't be too surprised if they aren't able to. 

If you've had a "resolution" letter or email in response to your complaint, you can reject it and ask for a deadlock letter.  With the deadlock letter you can then ask the industry complaints adjudicator to assess your complaint and request for compensation.  They also have a guide to the sort of numbers they would consider appropriate if compensation is a reasonable remedy.  Whilst that guide doesn't say so, CISAS also apply the concept of aggravating and mitigating factors, which as a general rule increase or decrease any compensation.  So aggravating factors would be if this applied to vulnerable customers (sounds like it does), if VM staff were rude, if you were subject to undue wait times, broken call back promises or the like.  Mitigating factors are where the company has a reasonable defence (eg some third party drilling through a VM cable is a mitigating factor in a fault occurring, not in the repair time), or where the customer has made things worse, eg by rudeness to VM staff.

The cost of adjudication is always met by the company, it's several hundred quid, so they'd be daft not to reopen this matter, and try and reach an agreeable outcome, as their chances of winning a reasonable complaint to CISAS are very small indeed.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @scottyb1

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the service issues you have been having.

Is your phone line and online account now working?

Was the complaint raised online or verbally please and when was this submitted?

Please pop back to us when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thankfully yes we can access account now and phone working though nobody actually rang us informing been fixed. As for complaint about cable it was done online here Steven L kindly raised C120922639 on Monday as previously stated I have fixed as do not want Virgin's contractors back but if you look at my account I'm sure you will see the amount of calls and problems we have had it is fair to say the swap to virgin has been anything but smooth ! So to be compensated £8.40 is not acceptable

Yes phone and access to account now working rather a complaint was raised on Monday here by Steven l but if you look at my account u will see a list of issues we have had 

Hi @scottyb1

Thank you, yes I can see my colleague Steven has raised this and taken ownership.

I will ask that he contacts you regarding an update at his earliest opportunity.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide