cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Volts Bundle due to price rises - O2 want an early contract termination fee!

johnnygal
On our wavelength

Hello all,

I am currently on a Volts Bundle: TV, Phone and Internet and a Volts O2 SIM.
Given the recent price rises email received (and the terrible O2 data speeds) I have dedcided to cancel my package.
I have been with Virgin, NTL, Nynex (any other owners!) for about 26 years, and it's been pretty reliable for that time. I don't use the TV or landline much, so can get a much better broadband offering elsewhere.

The email I received from Virgin Media states:
If you're not happy with any of the changes announced in this email, including those to our out of home WiFi hotspots and pricing terms and conditions, you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 23rd March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees.

I cancelled my TV, Phone, Broadband part ok, giving a termination date of 18th March and was told I need to contact O2 to cancel the Volt SIM side of it.

However, when I contacted O2 I was told there was a early termination fee to pay, basically the cost for the remainder of the contract. When I quoted the email from Virgin, about being able to cancel without charge, I was told the operator had 'no option on the system' to do this. I asked to be put through to her supervisor, and after ging through the same set of questions and explanations, he seemed unsure too. After several times on hold while he 'checked something out' the line went dead during one of these holds. So what is the position, should I get Virgin to sort this out? It was sold to me as a Volt Bundle including the SIM, and the email from Virgin states I should be able to cancel the O2 sim without penalty. I mean, Virgin Media and O2 merged - how difficult can it be!

41 REPLIES 41

johnnygal
On our wavelength

@DInkle, see the third post in this thread by Ayisha.

Some should be able to cancel their O2 SIM, if they were taken out as a volt bundle with their Virgin package and it says so in your price rise email. Ayisha has passed my info onto O2, so hoping they will see sense and cancel it but I have not heard back yet.

I'm also interested in the answer to this. I signed up to a volt bundle last August and took out a brand new O2 sim as part of the deal. Now my virgin bill is going up by £21.50 (outrageous) and I'd like to cancel both virgin and the O2 Sim entirely for free. 

johnnygal
On our wavelength

Haz2311, out of interest, did the email you got from Virgin about the price rises have the same words as mine, i.e. that you could cancel both Virgin and O2 SIM?

"You can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 23rd March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees."

I'm currently being told by a virgin customer service agent that I have to contact O2 separately my self to cancel my sim despite telling him it was sold to me by Virgin as part of the Volt package, this company is a bloody shambles. 

Same as me , just cancelled my Volt package after waiting over a day to talk to someone now been told i have to contact O2 myself to sort the sim out . Sim was included with the package i got from VM so surely they should sort it ? The agent did send me a so called hotline number to ring O2 on but not yet tried it as fed up with hanging around all day to try and sort things out with VM , Will try tomorrow probably will be the same amount of hassle I've had with VM cancelling my package.

Well ek the virgin side is now cancelled just O2 to deal with now..... 

Who are you moving to

Probably back to sky they have an ex customer offer for me at reduced rates for 18 month contract. 

Hi have you heard back from o2 as I have cancelled my sim even though they are adamant that I can’t buy my email from VM clearly states I can. 

I was on the phone to them all yesterday morning and despite them insisting I had to pay an early termination charge even after I explained to them I don't because virgin are raising my prices mid contract. The last service rep I spoke to claimed they couldn't delete the early termination charges but there is a note on my account to credit me the total amount back in 14 days time when I contact them why god only knows but I got them to email a reference number for my credit when I contact them in 2 weeks.