Menu
jimmer42
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

trying to arrange additional Virgin box and broadband in my garage conversion

Hi

We are converting our garage into an additional TV room. The garage is separate to the house but is next to it and all electrical work is complete. We have the full house bundle and virgin broadband

My understanding is that to receive the full TV / Broadband service in the new room i need to have an additional TIVO box installed and a wired booster to the the garage.

Due to COVID I am unable to talk to anyone who can confirm the requirements, cost or arrange an engineer visit to do any work. my questions are:

1) is the requirement i stated above correct

2) what charges are there for this. I was told by a non european call centre today that i would need to pay £324 for an additional box and £7 per month...when I queried this he dropped the charge to £134 straight away. i was lead to believe there was no additional charge for the box

3) How can i confirm the requirements and place an order for the work

4) I have spent two hours on online chat and the phone but have yet to communicate with anyone who can provide any useful help

5) does anyone know when normal engineering services and the ability to purchase addidional services will be available

thanks

Jim Autton

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: trying to arrange additional Virgin box and broadband in my garage conversion

In addition to the wired booster the additional box will also require connection to Virgins coaxial cable.

The charge of £7 a month is correct, & there will be an installation charge to alter the coax cabling & to rebalance the signal levels at the street cabinet. As it is a second box there will also be an activation charge of around £100.

At present I believe work like this is still on hold due to COVID restrictions.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: trying to arrange additional Virgin box and broadband in my garage conversion

Hello jimmer42

Thanks for the post 

Sounds like a good project you have going on there 

As a rule we dont deal with package here or installations 

And we are slowly introducing visits like this to go ahead

@nodrogd was correct with charges involved 

The only downside is you would need to organise this with our Customer Service Team

Gareth_L

SpacePhoenix
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you end up going for a V6 then you'll need to connect to the superhub via either WiFi or Ethernet. You'd have to check to see what the wifi signal is like around the approximate location where the box will be going. If connection via Ethernet you'd need to make sure that the Ethernet cable is rated for use outdoors