Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

taking TV off my package

I’m an OAP and finding it hard to afford £60 a month after the latest increase for my Broadband, TV and phone package. Broadband is most important, is it possible to downgrade to just broadband i.e. no TV, no phone. If so how much would I save. 

I’ve asked about a cheaper deal for my existing package but they only offered more channels for another £8 a month. I could cancel with no penalty but I think VM broadband is far superior to anything else, so would rather downgrade if I can.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: taking TV off my package

Should be no reason why you cant downgrade to any package that you want that is displayed on the VM shop webpage. You will pay the "full" cost though as you have already claimed your new customer savings so you may not save too much. You need to be "out of contract" too to avoid early leaving penalties.
Try calling retentions again - 9-11 am is best to get a UK center - and see what they can offer you - another day - another agent - another deal. Also check out what the best Sky/BT etc offers are right now for new customers so you are armed with that info., and be prepared to cancel & move if they cant match those deals.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi as there is a notification, of a price increase on September 1st you can cancel anything you want, even if not you can cancel the TV part of your package anytime with 30 days notice.Regards Micky
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I’m going to try BT, I can get, broadband, TV (with BT sports) and phone for £15 less than my current package with Virgin, plus a free Samsung tablet or an x box.

Worth a punt I think.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@magpieman wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I’m going to try BT, I can get, broadband, TV (with BT sports) and phone for £15 less than my current package with Virgin, plus a free Samsung tablet or an x box.

Worth a punt I think.

As long as you are aware that cheaper is not necesarily better.

BT TV relies on Freeview, so you need good Freeview reception & will have to pay to install a rooftop antenna at your own expence if you don't have one. Sky Sports is provided via the Now TV app, which won't allow you to record any of the Sky channels it provides.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well I'm absolutely delighted to say that after phoning again and this time getting through to retentions a very nice chap has reduced my package by a massive £23 a month for exactly the same products, I am very happy with that result, so I will be staying with VM for another year at least.

It was worth spending three quarters of an hour on hold listening to awful music. Smiley LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well after receiving the price rise letter I've had to cancel my tv package and I've only just agreed the contract!

I was offered a price hold for 6 months which meant I would pay the increase for the duration of the contract after that period which i can't afford. Sorry to see it go after 20 years plus but thats life.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If you have cancelled - they will call you back in the next few weeks and offer you a better deal.
I think they may only do this once.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With the bill they've just sent me for September and thats before I've even paid July's bill they'll be lucky if i stay a customer!

Update..The billing system generated a bill in the belief I was in contract so it added a penalty fee for early cancellation, retentions have sorted it out now (I hope) So if you're cancelling due to the announced price increase make sure someone removes the penaly fee from your future bill.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@magpieman wrote:

Well I'm absolutely delighted to say that after phoning again and this time getting through to retentions a very nice chap has reduced my package by a massive £23 a month for exactly the same products, I am very happy with that result, so I will be staying with VM for another year at least.

It was worth spending three quarters of an hour on hold listening to awful music. Smiley LOL

So down to £37/month, what do you get for that?

0 Kudos