Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

more HD channels

Is there any chance VM will be  getting rid of Anologue channels and making them all HD. Spend a fortune on a big screen HD TV and the anologue channels are a terrible picture. All the movie channels are unwatchable the quality is so poor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: more HD channels

Virgin Media is a digital TV platform and hasn't operated analogue services for many years 🙂

I presume you mean SD channels, in which case yes - Virgin have been proactively promoting HD channels since a little while, and only this week put ITV HD into EPG-103 slot, SD is now on 113.

However, they can only do this where broadcasters provide an HD version of channels. And viewing SD channels on anything bigger than a 32" HD screen, is going to look poor, there's only so much upscaling can be done before the results will begin to look poor.

Which movie channels are you referring to - can you be specific?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The movie channels which are not sky movie channels.The movie channels which have HD are perfect the SD are really bad.also when are they going to get rid of the Xmas movies. The same movies for years and starting 3 month before xmas. It is a bit much especially for people on lockdown and working from home.

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As has been explained Virgin is the platform for the TV companies, they control what programmes they put out so you take your issue up with them.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@cekim wrote:

The movie channels which are not sky movie channels.The movie channels which have HD are perfect the SD are really bad.also when are they going to get rid of the Xmas movies. The same movies for years and starting 3 month before xmas. It is a bit much especially for people on lockdown and working from home.

Thanks for your reply

To broadcast an HD channel uses more data so costs more than an SD channel. Also most of these channels are on multiple platforms (Sky, Freesat, Freeview). Each one of these is an additional cost. An SD Freeview channel for instance will cost a channel around £4 Million a quarter. 

Christmas films, Christmas songs. Of course they come around every year & the majority of people like to see their favourites. There are a fair number of queries on this board every year as to when the Christmas channels are going to start. If these channels weren’t getting a decent audience at Christmas they wouldn’t bother to put the channels on.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos