Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

does adding new channels start new contract?

I added BT Sport last February and am now removing. Email at the time said no need for new contract - Virgin now claim it was a new contract and they sent by snail mail. I have never had a contract in the mail in 20 years with them. What is the norm re New contract when adding channels? I certainly wasn't asked and obviously didn't sign!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: does adding new channels start new contract?

Terms and conditions of your residential customer service agreement for Virgin Media television, Virgin Broadband and Virgin Phone services

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#equip...

K. Changing this agreement

1: You may add to or reduce your services (including the content you receive on the television service) from time to time by contacting our customer services team.  If you ask us to add any extra services or any extra content or bundles of content to the television service, you agree to accept such additional content or bundles of content for at least the minimum period that applies to it.  If you ask us to reduce your tier of services within the minimum period for that service, we may ask you to pay an early disconnection fee depending on the service being reduced and the remaining length of the minimum period.  If you wish to reduce your tier of service or remove any additional service (including premium television channels) you must give us 30 days’ notice and pay any applicable charges (including usage charges and line rental) up to the end of that 30-day notice period.  Any changes to the services under this paragraph do not give rise to a new agreement, even if you agree a new minimum period.

According to the above, your overall contracted period will/should not change.

However any minimum contracted period for the provision of your BT Sport will apply, along with any early disconnection charges, but for that particular content (BT Sport) only.

Unless I've interpreted the above incorrectly of course.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you sololobo - Again Virgin Media operative caught out it a blatant lie.Ahab - for reference
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The only possible exception, would be if you accepted any bundle discounts when you added BT Sport or were put on any kind of retention deal. That certainly could invoke a new 12month term.

A bit like, for example, my package includes Sky Sports & Cinema which I could remove with 30days notice. But I've got a bundle discount on them, which basically makes it more hassle (and probably) expense than it's worth, to remove them within 12months. Once that's up, then with the current round of price rises that's another matter....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

The only possible exception, would be if you accepted any bundle discounts when you added BT Sport or were put on any kind of retention deal. That certainly could invoke a new 12month term.

A bit like, for example, my package includes Sky Sports & Cinema which I could remove with 30days notice. But I've got a bundle discount on them, which basically makes it more hassle (and probably) expense than it's worth, to remove them within 12months. Once that's up, then with the current round of price rises that's another matter....

In your case your package included Sports and Cinema as part of your "bundle" which you accepted, presumably with the understanding that removal of either or both may well result in you entering into a new minimum contract period, or be charged an Early Disconnection Fee.

There is no suggestion from the OP's original post that he accepted any new bundle discounts merely by adding Sports to his TV package, that a "bundle" discount would be applied, or that he was informed of any new minimum contract being entered into.

Not the same situation at all.

However, the OP's situation seems eerily similar to the thread here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Cancelled-BT-Sport-Got-New-Contract...

I wonder how that one was resolved, if at all?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos