Menu
badger001
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

buffering

I am an OAP sheilding and my only mode of entertainment is my TV. When trying to watch catch up (mostly BBC iplayer, but does same on others ie UK Tv play) I get a lot of buffering (that circle thing) if it eventually gets going, within a few minutes of doing so, it stops and i get an "OOPs something went wrong" or a "This show is temporarly unavailable" message. I have tried on numerous ocassions turning everything off and on again with no result.Is there anyting I could do or will I have to ring 150 and join the queue?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: buffering

There's a few things that could cause this, and some of them depend which box you have. Is it a TiVo or a V6? If you're not sure, check here 

Do you have any problems with live TV channels? All the services you've mentioned are either OnDemand or streaming based, which are carried over the internet.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
badger001
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Its a Tivo box, no problem with live TV. It is only Catch up/on demand as you suggested it does seem to be internet based

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok - so TiVo boxes have 2 issues when it comes to OnDemand but especially streaming apps such as iPlayer, Netflix etc etc

1: The box is fundamentally quite old and struggles with the apps, there's no getting around that except for swapping to a V6 box which is a vast improvement

2: The onboard internet connection fails without your realising it. On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights. Second from left (it has a little "heart" symbol" next to it) is the "online" light which represents the TiVo's internet connection. Static on is good, flashing is bad and means the box is offline. That'll break all your online streaming 😉

If you have issues with the online light, that's a service fault. Apps running slow are just symptomatic of the TiVo box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks